Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Engine Rattle and back-firing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can anyone help me out.I've been away for the past two months, started up and found my 1150GS back firing and trying to shake itself to bits.  The engine noise is coming from the either the cylinders or just to the rear in the gearbox.Does anyone have an answer??

Murray
    Participant

Can anyone help me out.I've been away for the past two months, started up and found my 1150GS back firing and trying to shake itself to bits.  The engine noise is coming from the either the cylinders or just to the rear in the gearbox.Does anyone have an answer??

Assuming it was running fine before you left, only things that could have changed since you've been away 2 months is a bit of drain on battery or your fuel has gone off and gummed things up a bit.Since it actually started , can't imagine any electircal problem, unless you've got rats in your garage and they've chewed wires (it's happened I kid you not).Any time you leave a machine sitting for long duration without proper set-up for storage, you end up with fuel residue that gums up the works. Drain the tank, run some new gas through it and see what happens.CheersGarry

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Thanks…Was hoping to get away from draining the tank... oh well.

phil1
    Participant

Check the throttle cables are seated in, for want of a better expression, their “adjustment cups”. That is where the outer cable ends it sits in a cup which has a threaded adjuster on it. this is right at throttle body on both sides. if it has been pulled out just slip it back in. this problem will cause these things to run like an absolute dog.its also a good thing to check if you have lifted the tank or have small children around.  🙄cheersnigel

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a similiar thing happen to me with an 1100RT I had. I even had the Experience people come an pick it up. It was making a real bad knocking sound. In the end I couldn't even get the thing to start. When They fired it up at the workshop it did it for a bit then disappeared. It never appeared again. They gave it a full check and couldn't find anything wrong. I can only put it down to my step sons mates who apparently were “playing” with it opening and closing the throttle etc. Was there anyone who could have “played ” with it while you were away

Anonymous
    Inactive

There seems to be a common theme in the last 2 replies – KIDS

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Had a quick chat to Motorad in Welly.Have already swapped out the fuel and was told to put a cap of meths in the tank.. this I was told will pick up any water that may be in the system.Bike was running slightly better today.. will see how this advice goes.Still looking for the kids under the tank though... 🙂

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Got the problem sorted by Wellington Motorad today.  Small stone stuck under the right throttle cable. Small odds they say..Easy way to check, look at where the throttle cables come down on both sides to see if the stops are coming fully down. Cheers all  Dave

phil1
    Participant

Do i win a chocolate fish? 😀

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Sure.. do you pick up?? 😆

Anonymous
    Inactive

-D try draining your gas tank and replenishing with fresh fuel, if that doesn't work ring your dealer for workshop assistance, cheers bucky.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.