Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Engine Number on a F650GS? Where is it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I have had a good look, in the manual it says it is on the frame by the front forks, but all hat is there is 2 holes where it should be??Does anyone know where it is?Cheers Scott 😕

Murray
    Participant

Scott, I think your reference is to the VIN number. Have a look on the steering head.Some earlir F650 models had a sticker (white, with black letters on it) underneath the right engine cover with an engine number printed there. On others the engine number is visible when looking from the rear wheel past the mono-shock with bike on centre stand. Should be in the format of 123456789VA (9 numbers + 2 alphas).CheersGarry

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks GarryIt was on the front of the frame as you describedI just joined the BMWOR group and on the membership forms they ask for the engine number, which I assume is the chassis number ? 😕Cheers Scott

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah I thought it strange to ask for the engine number too, wouldn't it be more relevant to ask for the VIN, or frame number?Oh well  🙄

Murray
    Participant

Yeah I thought it strange to ask for the engine number too, wouldn't it be more relevant to ask for the VIN, or frame number?Oh well  🙄

I don't think it really matters what number is provided, the point of supplying something for the register is that your bike is identifiable, but you ask a good question noooby.A vehicle identification number (VIN) is a unique, 17-character number, assigned and attached to a vehicle for its life. Using this one as an example: WB1 0182A 4 1 Z E450XX WB1 is the manufacturer code. Anything with a first digit of W is West Germany, J is Japan, 1 and 4 are the USA, 2 Canada, 3 Mexico, 6 Australia, and countless other countries. Second digit signifies Manufacturer. F=Ford, B=BMW, D=Daimler Benz, T=Toyota. The third character represents the vehicle type or manufacturing division. So in this instance you know it's a West Germand made BMW motorcycle.0182A designates the vehicle description, which identifes everything from the body style, engine type, and braking system to model, series, restraint system, and net brake horsepower. 4 is a check digit that is derived using an algorithm; it basically assures that the rest of the numbers are correct.1 is the model year.Z is the plant of manufacture.E450XX is a sequential number assigned by the manufacturer and is the actual serial number of the vehicle—these last 6 digits make the vehicle unique (think of DNA). It can also help to identify whether the vehicle was the first, the hundredth, or the last vehicle off the manufacturer’s assembly line. Good information for collectors.So, it would make sense for the Register to record the VIN as a rule. There's actually lots of interesting information in a VIN. Check out your own sometime.CheersGarry

Dave Ross

This link to a vin decoder might useful http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

2bjr
    Participant

Some good info.Thx 😀

dave.valma
    Participant

There was a time when all BMW's had the same number shown on the engine and on the frame. With regard to Classic BMW's and other Marques, having matching numbers carries a certain value as to the provenance of the bike and generally gets a higher price when sold.I would think asking for the number dates from the early days of the register when the one number covered the bike as explained above. 😐

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.