Home Forums General Discussion Enforcement wish list

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Unfortunately this is all wishful thinking, as there would never be 7 cops, 2 patrol cars, 3 patrol motorbikes and a brief to target intersection driving offences, at least not in Auckland.

Coming soon to a town (in Canterbury, bigger than Dunedin, smaller than Wellyton) near you.Stop at stop signs, don't crash red or orange lights, drive appropriately in lanes, indicate, give way when you are supposed to, wear a seatbelt and don't speed through intersections, and you'll probably never even know we're there.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Unfortunately this is all wishful thinking, as there would never be 7 cops, 2 patrol cars, 3 patrol motorbikes and a brief to target intersection driving offences, at least not in Auckland.guote]I would not be to sure about that see below.  Regards PhilPolice recruits from afar 7:00AM Thursday August 21, 2008The country's front line will be boosted by 76 new officers today when recruits from Wing 252 graduate from Police College. The officers range in age from 18-44 and have come from Zimbabwe, Malaysia, the Philippines and Turkey. Sixteen of the officers are female. Auckland will receive 29 of the recruits.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was surprised to hear about Transit's lack of enthusiasm for the little white crosses that mark some crash sites – They're pretty sobering. Yet no one seems to think thatthe  ginormous “Trucks exiting out of lane 3…” sign at the Northbound entry to the Harbour Bridge is a bit distracting.So....I would use these ficticious Police resources to remove all useless signage.

Dave Ross

Stop at stop signs, don't crash red or orange lights, drive appropriately in lanes, indicate, give way when you are supposed to, wear a seatbelt and don't speed through intersections, and you'll probably never even know we're there.

I reckon that if I fail to see a police car, I'd have all sorts of other problems. Nearly got hit by a van today, whose driver decided that he did not want to continue to wait in line, but would rather pull out into the bus lane. Without looking or indicating, of course. There was no way to stop, but I was able to toot while swerving. I keep my finger near the horn an give myself a bit of room to maneuver, but often it just comes down to a gut feeling that something is not quite right.  Too bad I was not driving a bus :-).I really can't see how driver training would entice people to drive irresponsibly.  In Germany you are now paying $3-4000 for a drivers license. You learn the theory in around 10 hours. You have to drive in town, in the country on the autobahn, and at night, once you have learned the basics. Then you can take the test. If they don't see you adjusting the controls before you start, checking the mirror and or looking over your shoulder, prior to slowing down, indicating or any other maneuver that requires awareness, you are out of luck. If you go too fast or too slow you miss out. If you can't hill start, three point turn or parallel park you get to have another go some other time, for a small fee of course. If they are not confident that you can safely drive you will not get your license.Did I mention you have to be 18 before you can get your license? You do however get a full license immediately, at least you did when I got mine and it is a real lifetime license. Do something stupid, and they might ask you to take a psychological assessment, before you get your license back . Just to see if you are still mentally fit enough to drive again. Once you've paid that much you tend to want to keep your license.  They are quite happy to let you stick to public transport for the rest of your life. Of course they know where you live, so they don't need to chase you. It is compulsory to advise the council of any change of address. Of course people still manage to stuff up. A lot of people are impatient and pass at inappropriate times. With their traffic volume, you don't get many second chances. Generally though people seem to be more disciplined in their driving and take it seriously. They make an effort to anticipate problems. Merging usually happens well before a bottle neck. Passing on the inside is illegal. In short, I think decent driver training is a brilliant idea.

peter.trub
    Participant

Because we live in a “free country' with governments elected by the people we get what we get. A golden oppurtubity went by when the Government was acused of breaching the bill of rights by discriminating against age when they required persons of a certain age to resit there drivers licence. To suck up to the elders and score some votes this requirement was dropped.A Government with testeklays (no offence Helen) would have made it compulsary for all ages.  😀 Imagine if you had to resit your licence every year until you have held the licence 3 years, then every 5th year after that.  😀 A real driving test where people could actually fail!!! Nah that will never score votes  🙄

Dave Morris
    Participant

That's what happened in Germany. They've set up a good driver training system. Then drivers got completely carried away and they had to build the Autobahns to compensate. so when u attending  👿

Dave Ross

That's what happened in Germany. They've set up a good driver training system. Then drivers got completely carried away and they had to build the Autobahns to compensate.

so when u attending  👿I see, my sarcasm and attempt at satire got completely misinterpreted.

peter.trub
    Participant

I was agreeing with you Koko  😀 Part of my job requires me to resit part of my licence every five years, I have to undergo a medical every time I renew my “lifetime' licence (yeah right) plus the company I work for put me through an driving assessment every 12 months and a medical a darn sight more rigorous than the one to gummint require.  :-D. So I have done my bit Steve  😀 ………………………

honeybear.2399
    Participant

And is the driving any better in Germany ? Regards Phil

Steve Applegath
    Participant

we have a situation in licensing and enforcement where empire building by bureaucrats to massage politico egos has compromised any chance of a safer road environment…its not about a better new zealand … its about hanging on to the gravy train

Dave Ross

And is the driving any better in Germany ? Regards Phil

I'd have to say yes it is, by  a margin and I am not just talking about how people handle their cars at speed. I have no idea how the accident figures compare, that would be interesting. The population density is much higher, which gives you more opportunity to get it wrong. The really sad part is that motorcycling is a seasonal activity, with considerable carnage at the start of the season.

Dave Morris
    Participant

I keep my finger near the horn an give myself a bit of room to maneuver, but often it just comes down to a gut feeling that something is not quite right.  Too bad I was not driving a bus :-).

Oh so u r one of they guys whom you turn right in front of them with sufficent time and safely and they sit on the horn so they feel superior 8 seconds  later  and yell and scream at ya

Dave Ross

1. learn to quote properly2. you had to have been there3. I am actually not quite sure what you are trying to say. 😀

honeybear.2399
    Participant

1. learn to quote properly2. you had to have been there3. I am actually not quite sure what you are trying to say. 😀

Good hand slap Glad it wasn't me  Regards Phil

Dave Ross

Good hand slap Glad it wasn't me  Regards Phil

Steve can take it as well as he gives it out. I am sure he'll get me back, somehow, somewhere  😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.