Home Forums General Discussion Enforcement wish list

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Imagine if you had 7 cops, 2 patrol cars, 3 patrol motorbikes and a brief to target intersection driving offences?What would you do?Drop me some suggestions, it would be interesting to know what people want to see being dealt with by the police.Use your imagination. I'm looking forward to hearing some innovative ideas.Ka kite.

Dave Ross

I don't like:Red light runners (Very much including cyclists and buses) Failing to indicate,  while pulling into traffic, turning or changing lanes.Moving into the turning lane without indicating and the indicating just before the actual turn.People racing up the inside lane and then pushing in, because their lane is blocked (which they could see well in advance).Not giving waySuddenly swerving into the other lane because their own lane is blocked (without checking for other vehicles).The guy who drives while using two cellphones at once, something did suffer and it wasn't his phone call.At the end of the day, it's red light runners that piss me off the most. They scare me more than a guy doing 65 in a 50 zone. Actually, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper stopping these guys with a decent driving test.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Red light runnersQueueing across the intersection and then blocking cross-traffic.  Oh man, I hate that!

Jim Young
    Participant

What the others have said, and also throw away the key on the red light runners

Dave Ross

Unfortunately this is all wishful thinking, as there would never be 7 cops, 2 patrol cars, 3 patrol motorbikes and a brief to target intersection driving offences, at least not in Auckland.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Unfortunately this is all wishful thinking, as there would never be 7 cops, 2 patrol cars, 3 patrol motorbikes and a brief to target intersection driving offences, at least not in Auckland.

a group photo at Mc Donalds

Dennis Prendergast
    Participant

Imagine if you had 7 cops, 2 patrol cars, 3 patrol motorbikes and a brief to target intersection driving offences?What would you do?Drop me some suggestions, it would be interesting to know what people want to see being dealt with by the police.Use your imagination. I'm looking forward to hearing some innovative ideas.Ka kite.

Are we getting another bike? Are we, are we? 👿

Dennis Prendergast
    Participant

I don't like:Red light runners (Very much including cyclists and buses) Failing to indicate,  while pulling into traffic, turning or changing lanes.Moving into the turning lane without indicating and the indicating just before the actual turn.People racing up the inside lane and then pushing in, because their lane is blocked (which they could see well in advance).Not giving waySuddenly swerving into the other lane because their own lane is blocked (without checking for other vehicles).The guy who drives while using two cellphones at once, something did suffer and it wasn't his phone call.At the end of the day, it's red light runners that piss me off the most. They scare me more than a guy doing 65 in a 50 zone. Actually, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper stopping these guys with a decent driving test.

Well when people start to realise that running an amber light will cost them 50 demerits and a red 75, I think attitudes may change.  Currently there are no demerits for these offences, yet if you drive a car on a learners licence and fail to display an "L" plate you earn a $400 fine and 25 demrits 😕

Dave Morris
    Participant

Well when people start to realise that running an amber light will cost them 50 demerits and a red 75, I think attitudes may change.  Currently there are no demerits for these offences, ya sure about that quote muppy

Steve Applegath
    Participant

How about this… no demerits … no fines … just compulsory training from a registered person following an offence… competency based test following the training and license returned … result … a hell of alot better drivers and safer roads … only downside … total cut off of revenue stream to wellington (boohoo)

Dennis Prendergast
    Participant

Well when people start to realise that running an amber light will cost them 50 demerits and a red 75, I think attitudes may change.  Currently there are no demerits for these offences, ya sure about that quote muppyYou're right, I stand corrected, having a blonde moment :roll:, 20 demerits for red light, cheers.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

How about this... no demerits ... no fines ... just compulsory training from a registered person following an offence... competency based test following the training and license returned ... result ... a hell of alot better drivers and safer roads ... only downside ... total cut off of revenue stream to wellington (boohoo)

Training Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No if you train Divers/riders. They will only think they are "Good drivers/riders, so will only go faster. So the " Land Transport" would have us believe.  👿 Regards Phil

Dave Ross

How about this... no demerits ... no fines ... just compulsory training from a registered person following an offence... competency based test following the training and license returned ... result ... a hell of alot better drivers and safer roads ... only downside ... total cut off of revenue stream to wellington (boohoo)

Training Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No if you train Divers/riders. They will only think they are "Good drivers/riders, so will only go faster. So the " Land Transport" would have us believe.  👿 Regards Phil

That's what happened in Germany. They've set up a good driver training system. Then drivers got completely carried away and they had to build the Autobahns to compensate. Thankfully the opening of the European borders put as stop to that and diluted the presence of trained drivers. Now it is a lot safer on the roads. Polish truck drivers with worn brakes know their limits and make sure no accidents happen.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

That's right. It's called the Volvo Conundrum. If you build a very safe car people feel very safe in them and drive badly to compensate, bringing the net gain back to zero.Consequences are what people learn from. When a kid runs too fast and falls over, he learns not to run too fast. Trouble is, when adults drive too fast, carelessly, thoughtlessly, inattentively and "fall over", the lesson is pretty damn nasty, and may be too late to learn from. The consequences of bad driving/riding are too great to just allow to happen, that's why we have law enforcement to try to prevent the risk taking behaviour.Sadly, this often makes the enforcement people look like the fun police.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Are you both, saying that we should not train drivers/riders?  Or build save cars,  ABS, AIR BAGS, etc. or teach people how to drive/ride out of trouble?Why not just go back to having someone walk in front with a red flag? Remember!! "No risk no gain"  🙄 Regards Phil 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.