Home Forums General Discussion Elka Shocks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Advrider is running a group-buy on Elka Shocks. I've bought mine from the same guy. They've been going well for 30000km now. With the exchange rate in positive territory these shocks would be a real alternative to Ohlins for an attractive price. They are made in Canada and are top quality.http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/40The group buy is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519548

Anonymous

had a look at these they list at the same money as Ohlins – check out MAX BMW site what the good deal translate into?

Dave Ross

Send the guy a private message to find out. I guess it's about 20% off retail. If you have a look under vendors, they also have an Ohlins group buy going at 24% off. I am very happy with my shocks, the spring rate and valving was set up to my weight and riding style. Best money I've spent on the bike. If you compare this to NZ prices they are a bargain. The exchange rate is in our favour. The Elka guy is sympathetic to our customs procedures.

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

I would suggest to anyone before going down this route to have a word with Robert Taylor at Crown Kiwi. You could well find you could have a set of Ohlins, probably rated the best available, with local service and set up back up (also probably rated the best available in NZ) for very similar money. After I fitted my Ohlins I must say I would never be looking for an alternative to them.

Dave Ross

No doubt about it, but have you priced two shocks ,with external pre-load and 2 way adjustment, for an 1150 from him?

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

Yep. That is what I fitted (on a R1150GS). He also has to advertise RRP but speaking to him introduces some flexibility, and I must say I have found them one of the nicer firms to do business with. (If only he was a BMW dealer)PS I tend to use the rebound damping adjustments a lot depending on road conditions, the pre-load only for sag height when luggage or pillion changes. The compression adjustment screw is only really accessible (front and back) with the shock removed but that is more of a one off adjustment depending on the type of use road, track days, jeep tracks etc.

Dave Ross

The compression adjustment screw is only really accessible (front and back) with the shock removed but that is more of a one off adjustment depending on the type of use road, track days, jeep tracks etc.

It would be, if you have to take the shock out to adjust it. I can adjust mine while riding, and two click off the compression makes a huge difference when moving onto gravel.

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

Yours would be the equivalent of the Ohlins BM542 then. Mine is the BM942, must say I didn't get a price on the 542 so don't know exactly how it compares (The Elka and the BM542 RRPs on USA sites aren't all that different).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.