Home Forums Rides Calendar Dusty Butt 08 – 1000km, 24 hours on Gravel – anyone else keen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi allI am participating in the Dusty Butt Challenge next year  😀It starts and finishes in Nelson on Jan 5th.More info can be found herehttp://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59894I am teaming up with a fellow BMW rider, and I was wondering if anyone else is goingThere is also a 2 day version of the ride (same route, just broken into 2 days) for those that maybe interested.There is a clash with the Annual rally, but I thought someone else maybe keen.Also anything else I need to do the bike that you think I should do  😕I am doing the shims, new brake fluid, coolant, oils etcReplacing the fork oil and adding aux lightsCheers Scott

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I will be in Alexandra on the 5th, but I'll wave to you guys if I see you. This looks like itwill be a fantastic ride and should be well worth doing.

aegis4805
    Participant

Scott – I'm possibly interested in the two da version. Will decide soon. Hope to ride with you again soon – cheers S  :mrgreen:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi allWell I think the bike is already to go, but I am not sure if I am  😀I have changed the front sprocket down a tooth, and it feels great at slower speeds, so that should be a big improvement on the slower gnarler tracks  😀I have also fitted some aux lights, they are 55w small lights with some stainless brackets that we made a little bigger to stop glare at night (if anyone is interested I can take a photo)I also changed the bulb in the headlight to the 50% more light one, it is a good improvement and is considerably brighter.New tyres (TKC80's again) and a new chain and sprockets.I also changed the footpegs to Pivotpegz, which are brilliant  😀Feel so much better standing on them now without the risk of slipping off, or making my legs bow around the bike as you do with the factory pegs.Changed all the fluids and have everything ready to go  😀14 days to goCheers

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Enjoy your trip. I took Gerda's bike to have a new front tire fitted. I've got to say that I've enjoyed the 650. I struggled a bit with the low seat height of Gerda's bike, she's got the low suspension model. It is still comfortable, but I kept slamming my feet into the ground, not expecting it to be so close:-). Make sure you take plenty of photos. We will be down there from the 2nd to the 17th, should be a good ride.Alex

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will miss you all, I am heading over on the 3rd to NelsonWe were thinking of going to the Annual Rally, but my wife has has major knee surgery so can yet pillion or ride so this came up so what other option did I have  😀All the best to you too

aegis4805
    Participant

go well Scott – you've certainly done all the necessary prep on your machine. From the vid Transalper has posted over on Kiwi Biker looks like you should have fun. Like Alex I'm going to the BMW rally – I wimped out on taking my 1150 on some of those gnarly  4wd tracks 🙁Happy Christmas - Stephen O

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi AslanKeep an eye out for the 2 Germans touring down thereThey are lovely peopleHere is their website to fill you on the detailshttp://www.2aufreisen.de/pages/en/home.php?lang=ENCheers Scott

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi allWell I have just rolled back into Hawkes Bay, after a very successful Dusty Butt rideAlthough not the fastest riders for the event, we finished with a time of 22 hoursThat was 22 hours non stop with only a few breaks for liquids and rest.The temperatures reached over 35 degrees during the day at one part in Molesworth, and down to 7 degrees in the wee hours of the morningAn amazing ride on gravel, 22 hours is a long time in the saddle, but it was a challenge that I can now say I have completed.The GS survived everything I could throw at it and I thought I knew it pretty well, but I now know so much more, and really feel confident on it nowThe tracks like Maungutapu and Porika were tamed by it, and never really had any problems, the mods I did to it prior were well worth it.The biggest improvement was the pegs!!!A must for the F650GS if you are going to be standing for a whileWhilst I feel good now, I had blisters on my hands, a sprained neck from the sheer distance and tortureThe lights were the best!!!They certainly made my life a lot easier navigating the tracks and gravel roads at 2amSo already I am thinking of "what next"??Regards Scott

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.