Home Forums Ride Reports dual sport ride to ohakune – eclectic bunch and bikes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

maybe some bmw purists may scold me but along with Ian S and Garry W (Register members) – I had an absolute blast riding up the Whanganui River Road through the national park (again – I know) with 7 others mounted on DR650’s, Dakars, Airhead PD, Cagiva Navigator and myself on leven fiddy.

Here's a deep water crossing on Saturday afternoon. Needless to say I'll be checking the transmission oil this weekend.

[img]jsw_aslan___watercrossing_v1.jpg

For more go ere:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136498

😳

Anonymous

It great to see. Have fun. 🙂

Be very carefull you don't suck water in through the air filter. Make sure and check you have insurance for this kind of riding.

aegis4805
    Participant
    Kiwi Adventure wrote:
    It great to see. Have fun. 🙂

Be very carefull you don't suck water in through the air filter. Make sure and check you have insurance for this kind of riding.

Thanks - your advice is so true - I was fortunate not to get water in the air intake or final drive 😳

Incidentally the story continues at

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136498
    Dave Ross

Thanks for the report, you are a brave man.

aegis4805
    Participant
    Kokopelli wrote:

😉 thanks Kokopelli - some would say 'stupid' - looking forward to riding with you and other register members who enjoy using the dual sport aspect of the GS.

As Kiwi Adv has remarked elsewhere this is the country of the 'long gravel roads'

Can we have a Dualsport (GS) interest section on this site with links to ADV, UK GSer and others? Thoughts? 🙄

Probably off topic - but for ADV enthusiasts who own a beemer, I believe there's much to be gained by riding with folks whose tastes may be in some of the other marques - makes life interesting.
    Anonymous

Who??????????

DSC02202.jpg

Anonymous
    Aslan wrote:
    Kokopelli wrote:

😉 thanks Kokopelli - some would say 'stupid' - looking forward to riding with you and other register members who enjoy using the dual sport aspect of the GS.

As Kiwi Adv has remarked elsewhere this is the country of the 'long gravel roads'

Can we have a Dualsport (GS) interest section on this site with links to ADV, UK GSer and others? Thoughts? 🙄

Probably off topic - but for ADV enthusiasts who own a beemer, I believe there's much to be gained by riding with folks whose tastes may be in some of the other marques - makes life interesting.

Its a shame up North not many like taking there bikes off road. 8)
    aegis4805
    Participant

Hi Kiwi Adventure and Kokopelli – the fellow with the classic PD is a register member is a pal of mine (I’ve suggested he respond himself). Suffice to say Kokopelli and I enjoyed his company on the recent CCA – organised by the intrepid 4Skins. 😉

For the detctives among you - go to this post http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=73 and see if you can spot the same PD 😀

gary
    Participant

Thats me Ian.S aka Postie. I thought I had the crossing nailed but had drifted too far to the laft and the correction to the right washed out the front wheel. Picked it up with help from 4Skins, Aslan and Upshift and got out on one cylinder. 😯 No other damage and it returned to full noise fairly quickly.

Upon checking when home I note that the rear drive oil has SLIGHT water contamination so will change all oils this weekend ready for the trip to the Brass Monkey. 8)

gary
    Participant

Koko, seeing you did so well on the CCA you would have been fine on this one, bit of a drive to do it all but you could have joined for some of it. I’ll keep u in mind when we get any more together. Aslan is right about mixing the bike types up, it was great fun “pitting” oneself against the thumpers.

Dave Ross

Hi Ian, good to hear from you. That is an interesting sideways picture. You are still sitting on the bike, looks like the fall hadn’t sunk in yet, pardon the pun :-). I hope the water wasn’t too cold.

I am sure we'll meet again on a ride. However, it's virtually impossible for me to get away during the week.

Now that Kiwi Adventure is on an RT I don't really know anyone who is keen on gravel rides.

aegis4805
    Participant

Kokopelli – this ride was Sat AM to Sun PM – event planning appeared under regional forum over on Adventure Rider.

You would have aquitted yourself well I'm sure. Check out the cross Ohakune track that appears in the ride report on ADV. You and other register riders could tie it in with the RAG Rally. (I realise the venue has moved from Ohakune)

🙂

Anonymous
    Kokopelli wrote:
    Now that Kiwi Adventure is on an RT I don't really know anyone who is keen on gravel rides.

The RT handles gravel great. 8) I'll join you any time 😉
    Murray
    Participant
    Kiwi Adventure wrote:
    The RT handles gravel great. 8) I’ll join you any time 😉

Dean, I recall a guy who was on one of the earlier BMW Safaris on his R1100RT, was quite a sight but he did some serious damage to undercarriage/plastics etc. We should take you up on your offer of joining us next time we go 🙄

Postie, you're a star mate!!

Aslan and the rest, very enjoyable weekend away, keen to do more often if you're up to it.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.