Home Forums Rides Calendar Dec7 AKL Lunch ride to the Coroglen Pub

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Departure 9.30am and yes, it's BP Papakura. I guess my mails are cryptic enough without me trying to be clever. 😀

Peter Bradley
    Participant

Dave, I've got the same problem as you. Promised the kids I'd take them on the mountain bike ride along the Gateway.Although I still haven't registered so there could be hope yet.. 😐Thought I might have caught up with you last Saturday night. Far too many people to pick you out.

Anonymous

Damn!  I can't go.  I am working at our last public open day.  If anyone is interested who won't be riding that day (Dean?  Dave the Pom?)  you can call the number and book in a spot.  We're aiming to get 7000-10000 people through.  It should be a big one. Final Public Open DayWhat?When can we take the bikes on the new roadGo behind the scenes of the Northern Gateway Toll Road for your last chance to view the site on foot, by bicycle or bus.When?Sunday 7 December, 20087:30 - 9:30am - Cycling event (mountain bikes only)10:00 - 4:00pm - Walking / bus tourHow do I register?Freephone 0800 40 20 20REGISTRATIONS ARE ESSENTIALHow much?$5 entry fee for adults $2 for children under 12 yearsAll proceeds go to Hibiscus Coast Hospice

Paul Greaves
    Participant

A simple question I know, but i've just noticed that the oil is a bit on the low side for the ride tommorrow, any recomendations which oil I can get from the petrol  station thats OK to use on the r1100rsCheers

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

From the Warehouse or Mitre 10461611lrg.jpg

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Bwucie, thanks for looking after our guest rider. Did you guys stay in Thames? We were waiting just out of town at the entrance to the garden centre cafe', but as nobody turned up, we went inside.The rider of the red Funduro got a ticket worth $400 for not having warrant of fitness and registration on his bike. They kindly ignored the missing mirrors. I guess the $$$ signs must have clouded their vision. I try to keep these things up to date, but I know with two bikes in the shed, it's always tempting to let it slide.I thought it was a pretty good ride. I hope I didn't come across as being to pushy when I went past. You were quite the gentleman, as always.I hope I'll get to see some pictures. The pigs we saw on the 309 were amazing. Jimmy managed what I couldn't, get his K1200S through the 309 without dropping it.I had been following Arne to closely and had to back off around a tight left uphill corner. It ended up being to slow for second gear. When I pulled in the clutch to avoid stalling it, the bike pretty much stopped. Of course my legs were too short at this particular spot, so the bike fell over.Thanks Arne for helping me pick it up. Teaches me to pay more attention next time. Arne seemed to cruise through effortlessly on his F650GS. Gerda is definitely hooked on it.

Dave Morris
    Participant

The rider of the red Funduro got a ticket worth $400 for not having warrant of fitness and registration on his bike. They kindly ignored the missing mirrors. I guess the $$$ signs must have clouded their vision. I try to keep these things up to date, but I know with two bikes in the shed, it's always tempting to let it slide.

booking them for mirrors would of been a bit hard as they are covered under WOF, I would suggest they run off and get a wof and regno in quick smart and write a nice letter, worth a try.may pay to mention they do little milage with last wof check milage to confirm if this is the story 

Arne Rohde
    Participant

On the way through the Tapu-Coroglen road this morning I was thinking it would be practical with an extra mirror that was usable when riding standing up. It's not easy crouching down to see if there is anyone behind you. So although I had been checking the mirrors on the 309 Road, expecting you to catch up, I didn't see you until you were letting your bike lie down for a rest, Alex. I should also have been in first gear through that corner, but the F650GS managed to pull through in second, although with a significant twitch from the tail end.Very impressive that Jimmy managed it on the K1200GT. Not exactly the bike I'd recommend for that road.And good on Gerda for managing to do both Tapu-Coroglen and 309 Road in one day. She deserves a new F650GS, Alex. 😀

Anonymous

With the amount of tar that is melting on these roads there will be some more deaths when it rains. On some sections of the road there was only melting tar the whole width of the roadTony gravel roads are more fun as well there is NO cops and NO melting tar. Mr Bell your mates should be writing reports on how bad the roads are with all the melting tar as well lay grit and signs at these bad spots

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Sounds like it would have been a lot safer to do the register lunch ride, with a bit of gravel thrown in. I thought the police did a pretty good public relation exercise, while making a bit of money at the same time. One guy lost his license and his vehicle due to a pretty large amount of unpaid fines.You would make a great police inspector, Dean and keep the boys busy with meaningful tasks.Instead of squad cars they could be driving utes and carry shovels and show they boys from the road works how it's done. DTY could get a job supervising them.

Anonymous

Sounds like it would have been a lot safer to do the register lunch ride, with a bit of gravel thrown in. I thought the police did a pretty good public relation exercise, while making a bit of money at the same time. One guy lost his license and his vehicle due to a pretty large amount of unpaid fines.You would make a great police inspector, Dean and keep the boys busy with meaningful tasks.Instead of squad cars they could be driving utes and carry shovels and show they boys from the road works how it's done. DTY could get a job supervising them.

I agree they were doing a good job, but there are other cops driving these roads and should be taking responsibility of advising authorities of dangerous road conditions. There will be some serous accidents when the tar gets wet. We had a great ride thanks, but the north is so much better and safer now so the cops/acc told me at there bike check point today. Today just reminded me of it. Man I dislike the southern motorway.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Great ride today Alex thankyou. Sorry to hear of  your ooopps – hope not too much damage.  I cruised home quietly via Kopu road and was stopped at a check point where I was given royal treatment by the constabulary and a natty little key ring from the ACC guy.  They were really making a big effort with the diplomacy thing and get full marks from me.  Agree with all that's been said about the wet tar – it really is shameful not to mention bloody dangerous. I made it home at about 4.00pm and did a quick change to be at the Westwind by 5pm.  A small crowd of stalwarts with just a few new faces but we had a substantial meal finished off with a delicious array of deserts put on by Maria.  Mama Mia was about as hammy the second time around as the first but hey it's corny good fun and no matter who sings the old Aba songs they always (mostly) sound good and get the feet tapping.  Malcolm

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, a good ride. While we did the Coromandel loop clockwise instead of anti clockwise I still picked up a bunch of the riders just South of kawakawa Bay on the way back. Sorry Steven, Karina and others, I couldn't stop, I needed to be home to cook dinner.I was lucky the the police were a little more lenient when I went through and not issuing tickets. Alex, I had intended to stop at the same cafe as you with Peter and Campbell but in the last minute changed to Tairua next to where we had just gassed up.There were a fair few police out today.It was great to see Neko out and about and riding through to Coroglen. I love the look of  that new helmet of yours Neko. How was the trip back?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Looks like everybody had their share of fun. Malocolm, my bike doesn't look any different than it did before it fell over. The valve cover has lost a little bit more paint. Picking the thing up was the most painful bit, must be the old age creeping in. I got my marking done eventually, just in time to go to bed. I should have done it on Saturday, but a couple of Coronas got in the way.The melting tar season is only just starting. Don't know what's worse, riding the melting tar or the fresh and loose chip seal. Des, while I am sure you've missed Amy, you must have enjoyed the run without a pillion. It just frees up a couple more horse and makes cornering a little bit easier.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I forgot to say that my steak burger and chips were excellent and very reasonably priced too – good one Coroglen Tavern.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.