Home Forums Rides Calendar Dec7 AKL Lunch ride to the Coroglen Pub

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Well, this place is actually called the Coroglen Tavern. Be there around 12pm.It's a good opportunity for a gravel ride.Coroglen Tavern  State Highway 25, Coroglen http://www.coroglentavern.com/CGT1-500.jpg[img width=350 height=300]http://www.coroglentavern.com/davrus/home2.nsf/8985edf2861d8acfcc2570b70032a27d/c7fd8abdcbdbb0c3cc2570b6004996e4/WebPageBody/0.662!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg[/img]

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Is anyone going on this ride planning to do the road section only? I need someone who is willing to look after a young lady rider from Germany on a SV650. She is not new to riding, but would benefit from being able to follow someone who is used to riding on the left side of the road :-).Gerda and I will take the gravel route to Coroglen and the 309 back to the coast.

Anonymous

I can do that for you, Alex: while not impossible on metal, the eleven-hundy-ess is about as good on it as an SV 650, so I'm quite content to have a day out as a pavement pussy.As you will have experienced yourself, changing the side of the road is bloody hair-raising when you need to do something that should be almost instinctive, and you start to zig when you should be zagging.And if you take your own bike for a long tiki tour on t'other side it can catch you too. One of my cobbers took his Trumpy on a long excursion through the States. Got it back in a crate, reassembled it and went for a ride on a drizzly day, without thinking about which way his tyres had been chamfered, and which way NZ roads are battered. Nearly oopsed when the back wheel tried to disappear into the kerb. (He also, by mistake, found himself going the wrong way on a freeway ramp in California. To get there, he musta been riding on the left for some distance. SCARY!)

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Thanks for that Bwucie. She is here for just under a year as an au pair. She's had a Transalp in Germany, but has bought the Suzuki over here. The tyres should be fine then.We can always ride together until Thames, and should you change your mind after that, we'll take over. Alex

Nick Taber
    Participant

Hi, I'd prefer to ride with others so could join yáll for the ride up.  If anyone going on metal roads, I might well join them depending on time/progress.  Peter

Jim Young
    Participant

Geez it didn't take you long to jump in there Bwucie.  🙄

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

See you guys at the usual time and the usual place.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Damn!  I can't go.  I am working at our last public open day.  If anyone is interested who won't be riding that day (Dean?  Dave the Pom?)  you can call the number and book in a spot.  We're aiming to get 7000-10000 people through.  It should be a big one. Final Public Open DayWhat?Go behind the scenes of the Northern Gateway Toll Road for your last chance to view the site on foot, by bicycle or bus.When?Sunday 7 December, 20087:30 - 9:30am - Cycling event (mountain bikes only)10:00 - 4:00pm - Walking / bus tourHow do I register?Freephone 0800 40 20 20REGISTRATIONS ARE ESSENTIALHow much?$5 entry fee for adults $2 for children under 12 yearsAll proceeds go to Hibiscus Coast Hospice

Anonymous

Geez it didn't take you long to jump in there Bwucie.   🙄

Jeez, James, you grubby old sea dog. There will be no communication and no trouble: I do have Eudora on my PDA, but I am not going to pay for air time to use Babelfish to get my ulterior motives explained. But I do have a long held interest in assisting others in any way I can manage to keep their bikes shiny side up, and I'm quite sure you do too.Of course, if you want to pay for my PDA air time................................ 😆

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Damn!  I can't go.  I am working at our last public open day. 

If they'd let bike hoon through we could detour the ride through there, I'd even throw 5 bucks at the toll booth on the way past :-).Well enjoy your day, that's what you've worked so hard for and I've got to say it's turned out well. Maybe you could take a few pictures at similar locations to my old report, so we can compare before and after.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, you wouldn't recognise the place!

Tharon KNOETZE
    Participant

Hi AlexI will be going on the sealed road all the way - both ways if that is of help. Dirt roads and LT's don't really mix  😀

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

If it's too damp we'll be doing the same. Those Coromandel gravel roads can be slippery.

Mohammed Mahdi Essop
    Participant

HiUsual time - 7.30am?Usual place - BP Papakura?

Jim Young
    Participant

There is only one 7.30 on a Sunday and thats pm  🙂it's hard enough to get there by 9.30am  🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.