Home Forums General Discussion de Havilland Mosquito

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A short clip on Closeup tonight gave us a preview of this stunning aircraft in the air for the first time since a complete rebuild.  Apparently the only one flying in the world.  Will fly three times on Saturday starting at 11am. this has to be a must.de Havilland Mosquitode_Havilland_Mosquito_Launch_Spectacular.jpg

Jim Young
    Participant

I have been quite involved with this for nearly a couple of years now with the                                                                                                                                                                                            adhesive specifications and the gluing                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              and strength testing of the wings.Had an invite for the opening but as we are in the Aussie outback am unable to go which is a bit of a shame really                                                                                                       

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Good one Jim, as you say a pity you can't be there.  We'll soak it all up for you.  ;D  Hope you're having a good time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A couple of links for KA114's restoration:http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/index.shtmlFirst flight:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEyDlgJYIF8&feature=plcpHave a look at the Historical Aviation Film Unit for more on flying and wheeled stuff  http://www.aviationfilm.com/index.html

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thanks Scottie, some good footage.  Brill day today for the show and if my hands were steadier and my old lens faster I'm sure I could have got more of the Mossie and less clear sky.  :-  Never mind it's etched in my mind and 'twas a great day out.  What a good crowd, Bob Bonniface was the only face I knew but I'm pretty sure we saw Tony O blasting down the motorway on the red Honda so must assume the seals have been done already?P9290166.jpgAlmost missed him again...P9290160.jpg

Dave Ross

It's a beautiful plane, even though I am more of a Bf-109 kind of a guy  ;D

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

For sure Alex, one of the greats, old Willy certainly designed a good one there.  Are there any flying?

Dave Morris
    Participant

It's a beautiful plane, even though I am more of a Bf-109 kind of a guy  ;D

I thought ya great granddaddy was ze red barron

Dave Ross

For sure Alex, one of the greats, old Willy certainly designed a good one there.  Are there any flying?

Yes, there are a few around. I had a quick look and a Spanish version was built until 1958. The last version was quite a bit more powerful than the first ones. They should have used them as crop dusters.

Anonymous

Yes, there are a few around. I had a quick look and a Spanish version was built until 1958

..............In the SEAT factory, and only ex-Republican service members were allowed to work on them.....For my sins I am fascinated by military aircraft as well (even had cause to be VERY thankful for some of them when a youngster), and they certainly tend to drive the cutting edge of aviation innovation and invention. But wouldn't the world be a better place if all the money spent developing and maintaining them was spent for peaceful purposes? Like on cheaper motorsickles?(And you thought I'd gone all soft-focus, Green Party, hug a tree, have sex with a whale, take only photos leave only footprints,  philosophical and altruistic. Not at all, purely self-interested, as usual. 😉

Dave Ross

That is pretty selfish. Have you seen these crop dusters? Wouldn't you rather be flying a Messerschmitt?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Crank your speakers up for this…  Four Merlins and an Allison.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUU7hBGy0lk

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thanks Scotty, so impressive.  I had to cut and run early so missed this last flight.  Had I known they were going to do this I'd have waited for sure.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A least you were there, Malcolm.  I had to endure a mate sending me a photo of the Mossie while I was at work.  Miserable bugger then phoned with the sound of a low pass in the background just to rub it in…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.