Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Cracks around the front guard of your Dakar?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Howdy. Don’t know if any of you have noticed, but after a few more than adventurous adventure rides on your Dakar there will probably be cracks appearing around the mounting points of your front guard. I suspect the weight of the “beak” and constant pounding over rougher terrain (if your using it like it’s supposed to be used 😀 ) is enough to put some strain on the plastic around the mounting bolts. I’ve had mine plastic welded once already but figured that rather than destroying it completely, or buying new OEM bits, I’d have to think of something else.

Soultion - take original off (clean and store it away) and replace with a $45.00 after-market guard - thanks TSS Motorcyles in the Hutt, they had one hanging on the wall in the parts department.

Result - not at all bad I must say, looks the business and I have noticed on the odd extremely windy days we've been getting in Wellington recently the front end is not being picked up as much in stronger gusts than it normally does. Also, it's a tad longer in front so you don't get that line of road spray coming up over the screen when it's wet.

MyDakar_front.jpg

MyDakar_August.jpg

Mounting is pretty straight forward, drill out 3 holes lined up with mounting points under steering head, find some slightly longer high tensile M6 bolts (35mm) for rear and one 50mm M8 front to save shifting horn around. Couple of machined alloy spaces I found lying around in my garage and all whacked up in about 15 minutes

MyDakar_mudguardmount.jpg

Now, what next?

Dave Ross

Good tip Garry. I’ve only just now noticed your interesting seat arrangement. Tell us more.

Cheers,
    Alex

Murray
    Participant
    Kokopelli wrote:
    I’ve only just now noticed your interesting seat arrangement. Tell us more.

Standard BMW option for the GS Alex. Retails around $500 as I recall. Single seat with lockable storage compartment at rear. More room than you think too and great for adventure riding!! I carry spare tubes, tyre levers, an additional tool roll and other odds and sods - just in case of course, usually it's used helping out others with flat tyres and no tools.
    Dave Morris
    Participant

I hope u have not been pouring petrol on the BBQ to get it going

Anonymous
    Steve.B wrote:

Come on, in Wellington it would rust before you had you first meal off it
    Murray
    Participant
    Steve.B wrote:

What, there's another way to get it going ❓
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.