Home Forums General Discussion Cook Strait Ferry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am off across the water for a tour of the South Island shortly on my GS 1200. Anyone have tips for tying it down on the ferry – or on which is the best company to use? Thanks.

Dave Ross

I've only done one return trip using the Interislander. It pays to have your own tie downs, theirs are filthy. Place the bike on the side stand so you can compress the suspension as you tie it down. They place a chain across the front of the bikes to give you attachment points. Keep an eye on this, as the tension constantly changes as other people tie up their bikes. Also keep an eye on who's tied up next to you, you may want to check that their bike is stable. I've had to tie two bikes down, and it seemed like I was halfway across the pond before I was done. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

John Jensen
    Participant

It's the tie down points on the bike I am pondering. The R1200GS has a fair bit of plastic to avoid !!

2bjr
    Participant

Looks like not many people had seen the South Island then. 😳Also going down to the South Island touring for a week. Using Inter Islander. This is a first for me also.I am taking my own tie downs.

aegis4805
    Participant

I've crossed the strait a number of times on both interislander and on my last trip in december with strait shipping. Found the deck crew on strait shipping obliging / considerate of motorcyclists. Also at Christmas I couldn't get on the interislander but in fact strait shipping turned out to cheaper anyway. Also on the way south i was able to use one of the free bunks they provide truck drivers.I use my own tie downs (4) as said already by Koko place machine on side stand, i engage first gear also, and use tie down at each corner (left and right side of handlebar through handlebar brace on 1150GS and through pannier rails (either side) at rear. Each tie down is fastened to fixing/eyes in the ships deck. I also chock the wheels with rubber chocks found on most of the vessels of both lines.Have great travels in the magic south island - cheers Aslan  🙂

Renato Heneine Gualberto
    Participant

Hi allWent back home to the Mainland at Easter and worked out the hard way that there are not enough tie downs on the Aratere.Due to a cancelled, then reinstated sailing (that we didn't hear about ...cos I cant answer phone on da bike)  there were only about 10 cars, 10 trucks and 3 Bikes travelling.Quickly tied the K75 down and then turned to the Germans (nice guys) as they stood there wondering why no one was securing their bikes. Finally clicked and explained them that they needed to do it themselves... we ran out after 1.5 bikes  then it was down to using the remains of the tattered, broken straps.  Finally sorted, fortunately a calm crossing as my knot work is not flash  😀Bought some tie downs at the Westport Mitre 10 ($41 for 4... good quality and a stunning yellow strap)Return trip a simple exercise with the flouro new straps... but watch that cursed wet painted greasy deck... eeeekCheersStu

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Have a look at this link for tieing down a 1200GS on a trailer.  http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/Tiedown2.pdf    I used the same principlles and tie down points and followed their advice exactly ie no tie downs to the handlebars (the hand protectors are in the way) when I travelled across on the Aratere in Jan.  I took my own ratchet straps as they work a lot better and one can get better tension.  i also followed the advice in the Motorcycle Atlas of NZ re putting bike in gear etc. Alternatively strap the front hand brake on.  The Aratere ran out of straps anyway and some guys had to use rope.  Not ideal.Richard

peter.trub
    Participant

Here is an option for you, on the great southern adventure I used four ratchet type tie downs. I crossed on the Interislander and they had four tie down points sucured to the deck for tying bikes down. I placed the bike on the main stand evenly between the tie down hpoints. I then used the first tie down to secure the centre stand to the front wheel. Cant rock off the stand if it cant rock!! I then used 2 tie downs, one either side at the rear of the bike. I secured these to the passenger footpeg brackets. Any exposed but strong part of the rear sub frame will do. I then lightly and evenly tensioned these. I then ran the fourth strop across the top of the cantilever ensuring it was clear of all brake lines and painted shiney bits and fastened one end to the front two deck points. I then cranked that tie down down until it was tight as a tight thing. The effect is, the bike is held in plac by the strops pulling in a triangular setup against themselves. It is supported by the centre stand and no suspension is involved in supporting or holding the bike in place. I believe that had the Aratere turn upside down my bike would have still been where I left it. But hey I am just a truck driver who ties things to trucks for a living and these are boats so what would I know 😀 One word of caution, nylon strops dont like heat. Take care around mufflers headers etc. Have fun in the South. Benmoore is a good pub to stay in  👿

2bjr
    Participant

I would say that if you care about your bike you will get good tie-downs and to make sure that the bike is properly fasten.Even if you are riding for many years, tie-down a bike becomes naturally to every one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did the crossing yesterday and found there were no tie downs avaiable, just some old rope.Luckly I brought my own...a couple of sports bike riders were not impressed as the ropes loosened off during the trip and rubbed the fairings / plastics etc, the crossing was smooth but on a rough crossing it would have been a different matter...

Murray
    Participant

Did the crossing yesterday and found there were no tie downs avaiable, just some old rope.Luckly I brought my own...a couple of sports bike riders were not impressed as the ropes loosened off during the trip and rubbed the fairings / plastics etc, the crossing was smooth but on a rough crossing it would have been a different matter...

Standard rule, take your own.... great to meet you and hope you had a good trip back, was a cracker day  😀CheersGarry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.