Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Classic bike repairers/mechanics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi there,I ride a 1979 R80/7 S. Are there are any knowledgeable types out west Auckland way (Glen Eden/Titirangi area?) who are experienced working on these older machines? I'd sure welcome some advice...Cheers,Russell Carterr-c@paradise.net.nz

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually, any old airhead anywhere in Auckland would do…Cheers,Russell Carter027 268 4065

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

I live on the other island but have recently completed the rebuild of a 1975 R90S. Let me know if I can be of any help via the internet.Good luck with it[img width=500 height=375]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2270/2844930315_87a611027f.jpg?v=0[/img]Some more pictures from my project can be found on http://www.flickr.com/photos/geckoracing/sets/72157607213940861/

Dave Ross

What's the problem?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've just rebuilt the carbs and the bike needs an experienced ear to tune and balance. It's running very poorly, pinging, smoking and it's off the road until it sounds right. There's also a short somewhere in the headlight… the tacho isn't functioning and the full beam light lights when not in full beam. I can poke around but with the electricals I'm not confident with a multimeter. I'm slowly working my way around the bike, I've replaced the clutch, main seals, brakes, etc. There's still a way to go until I'll be satisfied. But right now I be happy just to have it running right.That's a great R90S. Thanks for the pics.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When you solve the full beam pilot light problem please let us know what you found. My full beam pilot has started coming on when lights dipped and off on full beam. I haven't had chance to look at it yet. Could save me some time. I hope the problem isn't in that matted birds nest of wires in the headlight cover

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will do Geckoracer. What type of Gecko are you racing on these days?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will do Geckoracer. What type of Gecko are you racing on these days?

We are not actually racing anything ourselves at the moment. A bit too caught up in a couple of other projects of late. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Geckoracer,The problem with the full beam pilot light lighting when not in full beam (and the tacho not working) is solved. The problem was a grounding problem... to fix we connected a new ground wire from the back of the instrument panel to the frame (near the starter relay). Cheers

dave.valma
    Participant

try John Hartles in Glenfield.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My R60/6 is about to receive some overdue attention, and needs a gearbox overhaul, is this a job for a home mechanic or best entrusted to an expert? Any names gratefully received.  I heard there is someone here in Nelson but do not remember their name. I have seen parts on the net from Motorworks and Beemerboneyard, but the shipping costs are like going to the dentist, is anyone in NZ offering parts (such as the 4 bolts connecting the tranny to the driveshaft) at sharp prices?Safe riding!

Dave Ross

Have a look here http://www.rtwinworks.co.nz. I don't know him, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheers for that, just what I was looking for. I have a tee shirt with kokopellis on it that I got in Taos.  Have you been through the sipapu?

Dave Ross

Only once :-). Enjoyed Pueblo Bonito and the surrounding area in the early 80's and will go back one day.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Always good to have something to look forward to.  If passing through Nelson I hope you will touch base.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.