Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk cigarette lighter attachment on R1150rt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have 2 cigarette lighter attachments on my RT, what are these used for? ie what can i safely run / operate off these. Can i run my radar detector off one?

Murray
    Participant

I have 2 cigarette lighter attachments on my RT, what are these used for? ie what can i safely run / operate off these. Can i run my radar detector off one?

Yep, you can plug a radar detector in and it's useful for the proper type of battery charger. Can also use for pretty much anything else that requires 12v to power it - pump, lantern, fan, heated vest, beer fridge .........................and of course the wife's hairdryer  :mrgreen:

Peter Hadfield
    Participant

you mention  'the proper” type of battery charger, is this a bmw one?

Murray
    Participant

you mention  'the proper" type of battery charger, is this a bmw one?

If your bike has a Canbus system, yes.

Peter Hadfield
    Participant

now your scaring me!, Canbus system?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The R1150RT does not have it, so don't worry.

Murray
    Participant

now your scaring me!, Canbus system?

Ferg, there's a nice summary of Canbus posted by Alex http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php/topic,704.0.htmlFrom time to time people make reference to damage to the system if you plug the wrong type of charger into the power outlet on a bike with the Canbus system. This reference to damage occurring when using the power outlet only applies to those models with a CANbus system, i.e. about 2004 onwards depending on the model. Your 1150RT will give you no problems if you shove a charger of any sort in the power outlet, just make sure the positive lead connects with the centre pin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.