Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Chrome plating

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thanks Mic, since your first post I have been using a 400 grit disc on my drill with Autosol as suggested.  I have some 1000 and 1500  grit discs too and a wool polisher so will probably rub the bloody things away by the time I've finished  😉

Anonymous

You may find chrome problems is under warranty as BMW had a lot of problems with chrome on BMW cruisers. There is a known history with problems with chrome on BMW cruisers over the years.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Ah I wish Dean, the bike is nine years old and has been neglected somewhat.  I appreciate there were many problems with the metalwork on this model but I think a warranty claim would be laughed out of the door at this time in the bike's life.  And  to be honest I don't think I have the face to try it.  😛

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys, I'm in a similar position with my '91 R100RS (60,000 miles), mainly commuter riding. There has developed a black rusty looking film on the inner side of the headers and balance pipe. It looks like rust, anyway. The sides facing the road are fine. I guess it could be baked on oil or grime (the seals around the pushrod covers do leak a bit) but it's hard to know.I was wondering whether this can just be polished out. They are stainless steel, of course. If they can be polished out, what is the process for getting the headers off (special tool?) and what would you use to attack this rust or film? Obviously, I don't want to screw it up but they do look better nice and shiny.Any thoughts would be useful. She's a great bike and still in great condition for her age. I just want to keep the maintenance up.Cheers, Terry

Russell Taylor
    Participant

I took the headers of my 2K GS and here's how they look after being polished. I took them to a local metal polisher, he tells me they are stainless. Cost me $150.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Wrong pic first, sorry

Anonymous

The front end of my 2002 Eleven-hundy-ess is tending the same way, I'm over it already.  The way I use my bikes means they are doomed from the day I buy them. I enjoy riding the thing, getting out and taking a shufti over the cockies' hedges to see what's going on, and there's always tomorrow for cleaning and polishing.  The great thing about tomorrow is...................... it's always tomorrow.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Any thoughts would be useful. She's a great bike and still in great condition for her age. I just want to keep the maintenance up.Cheers, Terry

Terry, since my original post I've attacked my exhaust system which I now think is Stainless not Chrome.  Magnet won't look at it so pretty sure.  I started with fine steel wool and lot's of elbow grease but gave up when told about the risk of leaving the stuff there and getting more problems than I started with.  Since then I got some 220/400/600 grit sanding discs and went at it progessively until they looked reasonable then ended up buffing with Autosol and an old piece of  towel wound around the pipe.  It has come up a treat, if you look closely you can see the pitting in the steel but I'm happy.  Give it a go.

Warren
    Participant

I have found 1000 and then 1200 wet & dry paper (the black stuff) with CRC instead of water saved a lot of buffing. Cut the paper into suitable width strips.Very dark sunglasses also effective.P

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Ah Bwucie, you're forgetting that this is a cruiser I'm polishing up now - much to low for looking over cockies hedges or much else  for that matter.  But it is the right height for scanning the sidewalk at Mission Bay for empty tables on a fine sunny day.  😀

Dave Morris
    Participant

Any thoughts would be useful. She's a great bike and still in great condition for her age. I just want to keep the maintenance up.Cheers, Terry

Terry, since my original post I've attacked my exhaust system which I now think is Stainless not Chrome.  Magnet won't look at it so pretty sure.  I started with fine steel wool and lot's of elbow grease but gave up when told about the risk of leaving the stuff there and getting more problems than I started with.  Since then I got some 220/400/600 grit sanding discs and went at it progessively until they looked reasonable then ended up buffing with Autosol and an old piece of  towel wound around the pipe.  It has come up a treat, if you look closely you can see the pitting in the steel but I'm happy.  Give it a go.

stand by for announcement.ta ra ta raaaaaaaahhhhhhhGiblylegs is not happy with the lack of chrome and going to look at a Harley Davidson.  😀get ya chaps out

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.