Home Forums Ride Reports Caterton Paua World Ride Sunday 13 August – or not

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It all started with a pretty innocent email.

"You planning on riding to Paua World this Sunday with the club?"

"Well, sort of – I was thinking perhaps the gravel way around though"

"Yeah, I'm up for that, we'll meet the roadies there for a cuppa, shoot out to Gladstone Pub for a bite, then head across to the Coast for a bit of adventure – see you Caltex Rimutaka at 10:30 Sunday".

Well, you know the old story about best-laid plans of mice and men. Six of us on three Dakars, an 1150GS, one extremely newish & very clean XR250, and Bill on his older RGS (those of you on the last BMW Safari would remember Bill and this bike about 90m down the rock face in Oreri Gorge) met up with quite a large crew of riders at Caltex Rimutaka on Sunday morning - God knows who got the weather forecast so wrong but the sun was out, there wasn't too much wind and truckloads of other bike clubs about who obviously thought it a great opportunity to get out an about as well – and the plan quickly changed.

"Norm mate - the six of us, we'll give Paua World the flick and head out the Coast from Martinborough. We'll meet you for lunch at Gladstone Pub".

"See you", and off we went. Quick trip over the hill, right turn to Martinborough, over Tablelands onto short stint of gravel and all to soon at Hinukura. Left again onto more gravel takes you to Gladstone over Admirals Road, but it's way too early for lunch, so "How about a squize around Glendue Station?"

The boys line up just after Hinakura

KIF_0472.jpg

Now, if you've happened to ride one of the previous Pukenamu Adventures you'll know all about Glendue. Great trails and magnificant coastal views, but no access today – let's boogy on out a bit further to Pahaoa Station.

Getting there is half the fun, easy gravel road following the Pahaoa River as it meanders though stunning countryside - with one wee ford.

KIF_0473.jpg

This is what it gets you at the end; we did run into a trio of blokes carving up the hills on some old scramblers. Looks like they were having a fine time, but we were limited to gazing at the ocean before heading back to Hinikura and the prospect of a short garvel ride through Ngakonui Station up to Summer Hill then down again to Gladstone to lunch.

KIF_0477.jpg

Bill - top of Summer Hill

KIF_0486.jpg

At the bottom of Admirals Road, just a quick regroup to make sure all still with us.

KIF_0482.jpg

Stephen (aka Aslan) motoring in, looking good!!

KIF_0483.jpg

We'll we must have been having fun as we got to Gladstone Pub just as the roadies were leaving to go home. So guess what? We had a drink, turned around and went back the way we came. How good it that!!!

aegis4805
    Participant

Thanks for posting the pics and great write up Garry

Others interested in what Wellington GS owners got up to aong with Merv on his Honda XLR250 should go here.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33831

At no time was the little Honda found wanting - very capable mount in very capable hands.

Cheers Aslan 😉

Dave Ross

Guys, stop making me jealous. I am sitting here with a dripping nose feeling miserable. I must make the club ride on the weekend.

Thanks for the pictures.

Murray
    Participant
    Kokopelli wrote:
    Guys, stop making me jealous. I am sitting here with a dripping nose feeling miserable. I must make the club ride on the weekend.

Thanks for the pictures.

Don't sneeze in your helmet 🙄
    gary
    Participant

And here am I driving a truck round OZ while you all have fun………..I tried to plant the idea with John F that he go on the ride with u, I guess not.

Take care all of you.

Ian 🙁

2bjr
    Participant

Hopefully there was BMW stickers on the Honda??  ( That is to give it a little attitude 😀 )

Murray
    Participant

Hopefully there was BMW stickers on the Honda??  ( That is to give it a little attitude 😀 )

Nope, Merv and his XR both have ample attitude AT - and we're not that fussed with what anyone chooses to bring along on a ride   😎Check your PMs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.