Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Can someone help this gent, please?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 14:24 +1300, steve@rood.co.nz wrote: Hi Bruce> > > (I got your email from https://www.bmwmc.nz/contactus.php)> > I have a wonderful 1989 R80 and am looking for a recommendation on where I might get it serviced and carbs balanced.> I am in west Auckland (Hnederson). I must admit - I am trying to avoid Experience (expensive?) > Do you know of good person or place?> > > cheers> steve > > 021 766 398> G'day Steve, Off the top of my head I don't, but I am sure one of the airhead owners in the Register will. I'll paste your message into the forum and see what pops up.Next, obvious, question is - are you a member of the BMW Owners Register of NZ (Inc)? I have been a member, albeit not very active, since I bought my first Bavarian Money Waster eleven years ago. It has been worth every cent of the membership just to have access to so much accumulated wisdom about the marque over the years. I know there are plenty of airhead boxer owners who do most of their own maintenance, and they all seem to be very willing to provide tips, advice, photos and so on. Me, I'm a Johnnie-come-lately ponce with an oilhead (R1100S), and while I have had a few good-sized bills from Experience, I am always confident that the work I have paid for has in fact been done. My (sometimes bitter) experience (small e, not the dealership, you understand 😆 ) has been that you can pay a big bill in some places around Auckland only to find out the buggars have rorted you and not done all the work.I'll get back to you if I hear of any suggestions.Kind regards,Bwucie.

Robin
    Participant

Back in R80 days Holeshot had the BMW agency. I wonder if that expertise is still in the workshop?Wellington has Mike at Motorad, (he owns an R80) but Wellington is a bit far!

Dave Ross

Take it to Haldanes, they have Ian, BMW trained with an affinity for airheads. He used to work for Experience. Other than that, it's not all that hard to do yourself. Balancing the carbs can be done near enough by sound. I use a twin max. Fluid changes and valves are easy as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.