Home Forums General Discussion BWM recalls 18 motorcycle models in Canada for fuel leak risk

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

First port of call would be probably be approaching your local dealer, ask them to investigate, or speak to BMW NZ.Usually the process is "No, the machine iz perfick", and perhaps finally relenting.On the subject though, clearly I have a fuel leak. I've only got about 750km on a tank, very best mileage. I want more than that  ;D

Anonymous

Gremlin is right, and it doesn't just apply to BMW in this country. Even things subject to Federal recall in the big, red island to our west will be ignored and/or denied by dealers here. Quite why has always eluded me, because the local guys can righteously pass the cost of make-good on to the manufacturer on most of them.There's been a few posts over the years in this Forum and its predecessor suggesting monitoring the Oz recall sites so you at least are aware a problem exists, because here you get treated like mushrooms - fed horsesh*t and kept in the dark.

Jim Young
    Participant

Wonder what caused the fire with the Police bike a few months ago ?

Mark Mackay
    Participant

The 2007 1200RT that caught fire in Christchurch falls into that  range of bikes, although the cause of that fire was meant to be positive battery cable touching t frame.  Very hard to tell sometimes when they go up like that. Daffy should be getting a nice new one shortly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

how long for Daffy to get his “P”? I am still waiting for local supply of front blinker bulb holder and cylinder head protector from beginning of September and gear box bearings from beginning of November. Big black barge will be off road until at least 20 Jan when technician gets back. >:(

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheers for the replies, all.  I'll go talk to Motomart in Lower Hutt sugesting they ask BMW NZ (anticipating an 'Ach, ze motoraad is prefekt in every vay' reply), then perhaps onto the AA if that fails.

Anonymous
    Inactive

how long for Daffy to get his "P"? I am still waiting for local supply of front blinker bulb holder and cylinder head protector from beginning of September and gear box bearings from beginning of November. Big black barge will be off road until at least 20 Jan when technician gets back. >:(

It should be early this year, as it's been at Experience and sent to Nautech for lights.Re parts... Beckhaus is now running BMW supply (of "reknowned" fame of Aprilia, Triumph etc) plus a few ongoing problems from BMW switching it's system earlier in the year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gremlin is right, and it doesn't just apply to BMW in this country. Even things subject to Federal recall in the big, red island to our west will be ignored and/or denied by dealers here. Quite why has always eluded me, because the local guys can righteously pass the cost of make-good on to the manufacturer on most of them.There's been a few posts over the years in this Forum and its predecessor suggesting monitoring the Oz recall sites so you at least are aware a problem exists, because here you get treated like mushrooms - fed horsesh*t and kept in the dark.

Je-sus you guys are not wrong.  In the catagory of 'Hmm, I wonder if they do care?', I checked the Motorrad NZ website:  We at Motorrad take your safety and riding pleasure seriously. For this reason we proactively monitor the performance of our motorcycles and from time to time we may issue either a product enhancement or product recall. Product enhancementA product enhancement, if required, is something that will improve the riding pleasure of your BMW motorcycle and is provided free of charge.Product RecallIf, through extensive testing, BMW Motorrad should find a deficiency in a component on a vehicle a recall will be issued.Owners of NZ new Motorcycles: Your Motorrad dealer will contact you directly and ask you to bring the vehicle in as soon as possible to have this remedied again this will be at no charge to you.Motorcycles 1st registered overseas: As Motorrad New Zealand did not import the motorcycle we will not be aware that the motorcycle is in the country and therefore will not be able to contact you.BMW Motorrad does however take you’re riding pleasure and safety seriously and if you regularly visit your BMW dealer they will automatically check for any outstanding product enhancements or recalls every time you have your motorcycle serviced. The last paragraph is a joke - that my bike is plugged into BMW's system every time it goes to the Doctors at Motomart in Lower Hutt would, I thought, alert Motorrad NZ that the bike was in NZ?  Yeah nah?  😮  Fail, Motorrad NZ, utter fail...

Anonymous
    Inactive

USA now included in the recall:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/automobiles/bmw-is-recalling-51000-motorcycles-for-fuel-leak.html?_r=0This article has a link at the end to all models included in the recall.

Anonymous
    Inactive

what are MOT purchase/warranty arrangements? future purchase contracts are insignificant?CKD kits from different global plants are affected by batches from source mfr?what no fires? sez who?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.