Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Brake Rotors for 2010 R1200GSA

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Richard, I don't think it's just wire wheels, I suspect poor discs. A friend in Wellington had the same thing within 15k of new, on a 2012 GS. His of course was replaced under warranty.So, the latest update is that post 2007 the spacers are pressed into the rotors, so I'd need to use a pre 2007 disc mounting kit for the rotors. Now asking Experience if they have the part and back to Sweet Street to inform them of the details.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet Street didn't know about the spacers being pressed into the disc, and Experience needed me to quote a part number.All too hard, but at least any readers know of the experiment. Sweet Street has offered to take back the discs, and I've started contact with Steptoe in the UK (gsshop.biz) about some suitable parts.Watch this space  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

So another update… GSShop in the UK is for pre 2007 discs.  :'(New plan I'll get underway tomorrow: http://metalgear.com.au/view_model_details.php?model_id=1434Can't believe I didn't think of them sooner, as I'm using their rear disc for a CB919 already. Get my local dealer to order, it comes with buttons, so I'm figuring this is going to work. Then I can also see what these spacers are as well, and see if they are an easy part for a hardware place like EDL, or my favourite, Anzor.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hopefully a last update on what has been a growing monologue.The Metal Gear rotors and pads were installed this morning and wooow... smooth braking again! I'd almost forgotten what it was like after riding with lurching for 30k and it almost felt a little weird.So, the parts fit correctly with no issues, and now it's just a case of long term testing of quality and life of the pads. As most do, Metal Gear advises you use their rotors and pads in combination for best results, which I intend to do.Didn't get much change out of $700 for two rotors and two sets of pads  :'(

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

…….being able to stop in time, priceless!

Anonymous
    Inactive

.......being able to stop in time, priceless!

Oh, I could stop before, but I was lucky I didn't have any false teeth like youse old buggers. Woulda lost them with all the lurching.  ;DAlso made slow speed stuff like u-turns a whole lot harder as you ground to a halt then released again...Oh, and I wouldn't have had much change from $600 for a single BMW rotor  😮

Anonymous
    Inactive

10k later… Metal Gear rotors are varying in thickness  :-Got Experience starting process with supplier as that's not satisfactory performance...

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.