Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Brake Rotors for 2010 R1200GSA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Been thinking I should probably start having a hunt around for suitable replacement front rotors for the GSA. 2010 model, has ABS etc. The OEM ones (bless them) have probably varied in thickness since 40k (bike now at 78k). Poor mans ABS if you like (lurch lurch), but coupled with real ABS it's not that exciting, especially as I do slow speed riding for cycle racing and  touring.So, has anyone replaced the rotors on these newer bikes? Any opinions?I'm running EBC pads already ($660 for BMW pads all round - seriously?! First and last time I bought them) but after downloading a 2012 EBC parts catalogue in excel, there are no front rotors listed for the 2010 model.I found http://gsshop.biz/shop/ apparently highly recommended by ukgser.com, guy by the name of Steptoe. Any feedback?

Dave Ross

Steptoe has a good reputation. I've bought one set of the BMW pads, the last two were EBC at well under half the price.Mine are also warped, below spec and pulsing nicely. I've bought a good second hand set and will fit it once the pads wear a bit more. The warping is only a problem at low speeds and the bike still stops well. I don't think I can leave them on until 200000km.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Theres  some SSM rotors on Trade Me, $399 per pair in Hastings at present. Not shure how that stacks up with overseas importing. Never herd of SSM? but they are round and made out of stainless.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The guys at Experience measured the discs, and apparently they vary in thickness… plenty of complaints on the Internet about that, so wasn't tooooo unhappy goodwill from BMW was a no. After all, I'd end up with another set of BMW discs.Richard, yep, saw those SSM rotors, and at $200 a rotor it's not too much of an expense should it not work out (plus there seems to be a good warranty and I'd be supporting a Kiwi). Reckon I'll probably give them a crack and get the guys to fit at 80k service.

Dave Ross

Gerda's bike had new discs fitted under warranty. I don't know what it is that causes the warping. Do other makes have the same problem? 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gerda's bike had new discs fitted under warranty. I don't know what it is that causes the warping. Do other makes have the same problem?

I haven't used anything else on the BMW, this will be the first disc replacement. There are a few theories around bad quality discs (I know of a fella in Wellington, almost new '12 GS and in under 10k the discs played up. His was replaced under warranty. Could be an issue with pads leaving material on the discs. Some sand the discs down and it works temporarily, then the issue comes back. I was advised to also be careful of keeping the front brakes on when stopped, ie, the 2 materials being able to bind together. Some have also mentioned that light braking will cause issues but heavy braking won't.Either way, I also have a Honda Hornet CB900. Never had issues with the discs warping or varying in thickness. Currently has 115k on the clock, and they will need to be replaced probably within 20k because they will be below spec... the way they should require replacing me thinks... hence looking for something non-BMW to see if it fixes the problem.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Had My GS discs replaced under warranty,one first then they had to replace both. Had wire wheels on the bike at that time. Bike now done over 100 ks  and no problems, picked up a EBC rear disc and pads of Rincewind for when they need replacing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Damn, feels like I started this thread a while ago… only a couple of months have passed. Bike is now due for 80k and I'll book it in shortly. With a full season coming up of events, I figure I may as well get this sorted.I also saw Beemer Boneyard as a suggestion, but this time around I've ordered the set from Sweet Street for $399. By contacting them direct, I've saved them the success fee, so no freight on the order. I guess I'll get them fitted and we'll see how we go...Also, as an FYI, they used to supply EBC pads, but are out of stock, as a distributor has supply sewn up. Currently looking for an alternative. The only kicker is that it's best to replace the pads at the same time... not sure how much I'm losing, but oh well...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Started convo on Monday, agreed, paid etc. On courier the following day and arrived today. Rang Experience and the bike is booked in on Friday (replace discs, new pads on front, 80k service and oil replaced in final drive). Looks like they've had a bit of a makeover since I was in last, around Feb I think.We're off to an excellent start  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Gremlin – who'd you get the rotors/pads from, what was the cost?  I'm heading that way for my R12RT soon adn want to be as friendly as possiblt to my  credit card…  🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found the fella through this auction: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=634966598 (mine don't look like that)Company (the part isn't on the website): http://www.sweetstreet.co.nz/Cost $399 inc shipping. As Neil at Experience suggested, BMW rotors would probably cost more than that each. For your RT, I'm not sure that specific rotor is compatible for you, but make contact with them and see if they can supply something. They've been awesome to deal with so far, well, I gave them some money, and they gave me some stuff.  😀The proof is in the pudding so to speak, and the bike is currently at Experience with work scheduled for tomorrow. Then the testing of performance begins. The important thing to stress is that I have no idea what brand the rotors are, never used them before, but at that price felt it was worthwhile testing and being able to report back.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheers, Gremlin – my rear pads are getting a bit thin, and the front rotors are nearing their minimums.  Time to 'do' the whole schbang, perhaps…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet Street used to supply EBC pads, but now NZ supply is stitched up to someone, and they haven't found an alternative. Experience is able to supply me EBC, so I'm happy with that.At least you're replacing your rotors because they're thin... mine probably have plenty of life left, but the variation in thickness is ugly...  >:(

Anonymous
    Inactive

…. and a failure.  🙁Rotor mounting holes are around 14mm, the OEM ones are 8.5mm, no way they're fitting correctly. Emailed them back to advise and ask them to check, and we'll see how we get on...

Mark Mackay
    Participant

My discs on the GS are geting thinner as well but not warped, I wonder if it is the bikes with wire wheels that have the most problems?  Mine had wire wheels when new and  had wheels and discs replaced under warranty. Brembo have some nice floating disc conversions on Ebay or Neil from Experience can price up a set thru Eurobike wholesale. Just need a wealthy Adventure rider to try a set out .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.