Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Brake Pads Again

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

The brake pads on my 650 GS are squeelin like crazy. Inspectoin revealed plenty of wear left yet so thats not the problem…..apart from not needing brakes….can anyone help??? cheers Mal :mrgreen:

Anonymous

I just thought that was a Bee-em thing – my K100’s always done it: I just assumed they had Cortina brakes.

Dave Ross
    Dodgy1 wrote:
    The brake pads on my 650 GS are squeelin like crazy. Inspectoin revealed plenty of wear left yet so thats not the problem…..apart from not needing brakes….can anyone help??? cheers Mal :mrgreen:

You could take the pads out and slightly bevel the leading edge with a file or sandpaper. There is also a special heat resistant grease available that you use on the back of the pad, under the shim. This should work for a while.

Also, when you do use the brakes, be a bit more firm with them, rather than drifting to a stop, this should also reduce glazing.

Do you have BMW pads?
    Anonymous

“Also, when you do use the brakes, be a bit more firm with them, rather than drifting to a stop, this should also reduce glazing.”

Aha! That'll be my cause: I'm not normally in much of a hurry, so my brakes don't get a lot of use. And my Cortina couldn't have hurried if it tried!

Anonymous
    Kokopelli wrote:
    Dodgy1 wrote:

You could take the pads out and slightly bevel the leading edge with a file or sandpaper. There is also a special heat resistant grease available that you use on the back of the pad, under the shim. This should work for a while.

Also, when you do use the brakes, be a bit more firm with them, rather than drifting to a stop, this should also reduce glazing.

Do you have BMW pads?

My bikes done 1800 k's so I'm assuming they are the original BMW item...suppose I should remove them and have a look....Cheers..Mal
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.