Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Boosterplug

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Finally got around to finishing my garage version of the booster plug all up it was just shy of $45 kiwi, the connectors where the hefty bit at $38 for the pair. I get to road test it tomorrow -

Anonymous
    Inactive

hiwhat is the nature/purpose of this booster plug? to trickle charge/boost your battery during low or no usage  periods?i have used solar trickle chargers on older bikes via plug and tails supplied with charger  and connected to battery.i have heard that back charging through the power supply sockets on latest bikes may be risky with the new (canbus?) systems.any one know definitively if my old 2003 R1150RT is OK to trickle charge back through power outlet as I have purchsed an expensive genuine BMW plug to suit the socket. Is there alternative Dick Smith type equivalent plugs and anyone know description/spec/part number? Apparently it is not the same as a car lighter. I have not bothered checking yet.Cheers 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think this boosterplug is a device to trick your onboard computer into thinking the ambient temperature is some degrees lower than it actually is. This is supposed to smooth out the power delivery at lower rpm.  and to compensate for the leanness at low revs (brought about by BMW trying to meet EU emission standards.)I'm not sure that it works but you can read about it here:  http://www.boosterplug.com/ Ken

Anonymous

kennif has the purpose of the boosterplug dead right, and those of us that have purchased the el cheapo version (the accelerator cable, ex Belgium) reckon it does the business – certainly makes my eleven-hundy-ess a lot more user friendly at low revs/speeds.As for charging the RT, I have no idea how different the wiring is to the eleven-hundy, but my bike goes straight on the life support as soon as it's back in the garage (Experience fitted a socket for me, as the bare-bones bike didn't have one.)  I use a solar maintainer, which pokes out 14.6 volts on an overcast day, and breaks the charge when the battery is full charged.  You would need to check with somebody brighter than me to establish whether this was safe on the RT.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The booster plug increases the fuel supply so the engine is running less lean. If you look at any power curve of the R1100 they have a slight suck out from about 3,000 to 6,000 RPM like many of the Euro Fuel Injected bikesThe popular answer for this is that it is done to pass emission and noise requirements.The Booster plug offsets the measured air temperature which the computer uses to calculate the fuel delivery. By signalling a temperature about 20 degrees lower than actual the computer provides about 3% more fuel. Having just done mine it does work well:  throttle  off to on at low speed is smoother and mid range pull is noticably stronger to the point where I can take quite a few 50 to 70k corners one gear taller.The battery charging on the earlier non CAN bus bikes is really easy the later ones require the BMW intelligent charger to get the best results, like Brucie I have the accessory socket and in my case a BMW charger which I hook up if the bike gets parked up for more than a week. If you have the early bike you can buy the socket from Jaycar for about $10.00

Murray
    Participant

any one know definitively if my old 2003 R1150RT is OK to trickle charge back through power outlet as I have purchsed an expensive genuine BMW plug to suit the socket. Is there alternative Dick Smith type equivalent plugs and anyone know description/spec/part number? Apparently it is not the same as a car lighter. I have not bothered checking yet.Cheers 🙂

CanBus was introduced from '04 models, so you're fine charging your RT though a power socket using any old charger. Bosch do equivalent plugs for the BMW power sockets and you can get from most auto-electricians or outlets like Dick Smith, Repco, etc.

Mark Williams
    Participant

I purchased one yesterday from http://www.sol2.be/Accelerator/English/index.html. It cost $85 at current exchange rates.  I look forwad to all the good things you current users have talked about. Happy ridingMike

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats a fair price, all up Mine cost close to $40 in parts and it took about an hour to build

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Had a 2007 F800ST a couple of years back. I loved it, but it was quite snatchy at lower speeds.I'm picking up a 2009 model tomorrow, it has a BoosterPlug. The owner tells me the plug has smoothed the whole ride out, so it will be interesting to see.I'll report back. ::)

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Really smoothe, I wish to report. It's not snatchy at all. Unlike the first F800 I had. I loved that one too, but this one runs heaps better, and the BoosterPlug is probably the reason.

Mark Williams
    Participant

;DI finally got the gizzmo fitted today. Yes it fits in about 90 seconds.  I hooned off to the supermarket the long way (25kms instead of 5) and immediately noticed the RT was running smoother than normal and I could ride at 50Km in fourth with no snatching.  I rode around the Countdown car park a couple of times enjoying the hassle free 1st gear riding: I cannot wait to get into a queue of traffic - damn easy in these parts.  Not to worry I will take my medication later!CheersMike

Anonymous
    Inactive

I finally got the gizzmo fitted today. Yes it fits in about 90 seconds.

Which version did you get? Compact or extended?CheersNeil

Russell Taylor
    Participant

I finally got the gizzmo fitted today. Yes it fits in about 90 seconds.

Which version did you get? Compact or extended?CheersNeil

It's obviously the extended one. It has two zz's in gizzmo.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After reading all the hype re the mythical  boosterplug I thought I'd bite the bullet and give it a go so I ordered the accelerator module version (cause I'm yight) from Belgium for my F650GS twin.  Cost me $85.66 delivered to my mail box and delivery happened 7 days after my order was placed. It took me about 10 minutes all up to install. Unfortunately it’s dark, windy and wet here at the moment so I have not had the opportunity to go for a test ride. Can’t wait but will have to for now. I will let you know how I get on.CheersNeil

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I've managed to take the bike for a short test ride. Definite difference with better torque through the mid range and no snatch on the throttle.  Can do 50km in 6th with smooth throttle response. Going on a ride with the rest of the Rangitikei dirt scratchers this weekend which will give a better indication and also what the fuel consumption has done with the change. Will keep you posted.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.