Home Forums General Discussion BMW’s GS Leads the Way in a UK Highway Initiative

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Imagine this precedent coming to NZ! – a County Council in the UK has literally stepped up a gear by using GS power to respond to highways defects throughout the county. As motorcycles produce fewer greenhouse gas emissions than vans or cars, Worcestershire council has taken delivery of four BMW R1200 GS motorcycles to enable its Highways Liaison Officers to respond quickly whenever a pothole, or any other type of minor highways defect, is reported. The job of the Highways Liaison Officers is to collect reports from the public regarding highways issues, ranging from potholes, overhanging or fallen trees, to misplaced signs, loose kerbs, mud or fuel spills on the roads - basically anything the public deems to be a hazard. The Highways Liaison Officers respond in priority of urgency then order any necessary work to be carried out. On their R1200 GS motorcycles, the Highways Liaison Officers carry maps, a Panasonic 'tough book' computer, first-aid kit, digital camera, tape measure, spray paint, an assortment of tools such as pliers, screwdrivers, hammer mole grips and even a retractable saw for cutting overhanging branches. All of this equipment is carried in the BMW panniers. worcestershire_1.jpgOne of the first Highways Liaison Officers to trial the bikes, Steve Murch, said: "We look after 4000 kilometres of roads and 3000 kilometres of footways around the county, which involves checking them on an ongoing basis. Trying to get a standard vehicle through a busy town centre to check a possible pothole in rush hour, or trying to find somewhere to safely park to repair a defect in the road surface of a narrow country lane are just some of the problems we face each day. But by shifting from four wheels to two, we can nip in and out of towns and stay out of the way on rural roads. We can then check whether or not a defect is dangerous and take immediate action if it poses a hazard to road users." The Highways Liaison Officers also help out with routine highways maintenance work. Highways Inspectors are also responsible for checking every single road and pavement in Worcestershire on an ongoing basis, so the R1200 GS motorcycles help speed up the whole process. All four Highways Liaison Officers have received in-house rider training, which is ongoing. Experience is vital for this job, so it is fortunate that all the officers describe themselves as 'motorcycle nuts'. Some of them have more than 30 years experience on motorcycles and own numerous bikes that they ride in their spare time. According to Steve Murch, the GS has made a real difference to their work.  "All of the guys like the GS - it's comfortable, good in traffic and has a high visibility spec. It's also fun to ride, as we do occasionally go 'off the beaten track' such as down farm tracks. The bikes offer a quicker response in congested areas, allowing us to visit more sites of concern than the previous option of using a 4x4, which often resulted in two inspectors sitting in stationary traffic! We can also park the bikes in places where a four-wheel vehicle would cause an obstruction, such as on a footpath." The initial project was instigated by Worcestershire County Council's Director of Environmental Services, John Hobbs, who is a biker himself and is delighted that the bikes have made such a big difference to response times, according to Steve: "Members of the public have commented on how quickly we have attended to their complaints, as part of our role includes keeping the customer informed of what is going on and improving communication." Needless to say, when they are not working, all of the Highways Liaison Officers ride for pleasure and would like to do so more often!

Dave Morris
    Participant

ya a funny man Dean. Trying to boost BMW's sales here with this idea by 10,000%. Geez these guys would be working all day and nite with the state of some of the roads

Anonymous

May be the Police could do the job here. It would save the rate payers 😀 and give the Police a better job than collecting road tax 🙄

Dave Morris
    Participant

its not road tax. its stupidity tax. ya gotta be dumb to be caught 👿

Warren
    Participant

Stupidty Tax— thats bollix. I see heaps of stupid driving and they don't get taxed. Re light runners, noisy exhausts, not indicating, not giving way, the list seems endless. But, stray 1 or 2 ks over and you get taxed, Maybe you just believe the spin.

Anonymous

I agree emphatically with Steve, it is a stupidity tax, and the reason why so many noisy, arrogant, untrained vermin get away with it is that the entire justice system in this country is screwed in favour of the criminals, not their victims.So all our taxes (including the stupidity tax) get spent on free lawyers for bad vermin, instead of paying for enough Police.I think there is plenty of anti social behaviour in this country, including stink driving, which would be well catered for by more Police, faster courts, and more prisons.What sort of country do we now live in, when the revenue gatherers (as so many motorists incorrectly think of our Police) have to wear stab-proof vests? Welcome to the United States of South Africa/Kenya/Americastan

Gary Grossman
    Participant

Please remember when that cop does his job for you going over the speed limit he is also the one who has the job of dealing with fatalities on the roads and informing the families. While i agree with other bad behaviour being dealt with in all drivers and riders the Police try to keep everyone alive. So before you have a go at them think how you would deal with what they see and deal with and would you change your views???? And before you ask if i am a Police groupie, i am a traffic officer. I am a bike rider and the one who nearly killed himself on an 1150RT while on route to another fatality on our roads. I was lucky i survived but if i didnt have to go to that one i wouldnt have been injured. So please think before you have a go.Thanks

Warren
    Participant

I think Bwucie & Nick69 that you have missed my point in your haste to defend cops. It is not the cops on the street,  by and large doing a good job, who make the rules but the faceless bureaucrats and politicians. Because they insist on results to show that something is being done to reduce the road toll, the easy targets of relatively law abiding and safe drivers get pinged and the street savvy vermin continue to drink, ignore road rules and speed excessively with little risk of being caught. Sure you get some but most are not and if they do the bleeding heart liberals ensue that the penalties are minimised by the court system.My main bleat is with speed cameras. If I get stopped then fair cop if I am breaking a law. But a machine left on the roadside during subrban peak traffic sure slows down traffic and causes more congestion, but misses the serious offenders. Please don't bother to defend speed cameras. I have heard all the arguements but remain convinced that the are primarily revenue collection devices.

Jim Young
    Participant

Hi Nick69,It's good to see you posting again and I hope you are still making good progress in your long road to full recovery.RegardsJim

Anonymous

Man this has got serious 🙄 It most that time of month 😐

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.