Home Forums General Discussion BMW Sport Helmet Recall

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm advising as to a poor experience with this topic.I have one of the BMW Sport helmets which are subject to recall by BMW International. The visor mechanism isn't fully Euro certified, or some such issue.Anyway, on 23 Nov 2015 BMW issued this media releaseMunich. BMW Motorrad is recalling the motorcycle helmet model "BMW SportHelmet". Owners are asked to hand their helmet in at an authorised BMWMotorrad dealership. Regardless of the age of the helmet, the relevant modelcan be exchanged for another BMW Motorrad helmet or another BMW Motorradproduct of equal value.The helmets in question can be identified by the eight-digit number to be foundon the label on the chin strap. Only helmets with the ID 059241/P are affected.There is no safety risk to users of the helmet.The helmet models "BMW Helmet Sport" do not fully meet the approval testrequirements according to the European standard UNECE R 22.05.BMW Motorrad has therefore decided to take these helmets off the market.No other BMW Motorrad helmets (e.g. "System helmet", "Race" and "Enduro")are affected by this campaign.Anyway, I took my helmet back to the local BMW dealer. They queried NZ Distributor as to what to do, and I was surprised to hear back that the Distributor is going to send me another Sport helmet.Now, according to the release, BMW Motorrad has taken the Sport helmet "off the market".I have advised the local guys (I don't blame them) that I won't be accepting the Sport helmet replacement, and that I want a different helmet, specifically a System 6 Evo. This appears to accord with the recall notice.The cynic in me feels that the local distributor is seeing this as a way to clear his shelves of old stock Sport helmets. It basically means that NZ consumers are not being afforded the options available overseas.Anyone else have any experience of this?

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Yes I am also having trouble getting answers from dealers as I have not got proof of purchase.Whe are the last country in the world to here about recalls Whe have to advise dealers about them ie Fuel flange gasket R and K models then rear wheel flange , they are not interested in handling recalls Must be no profit for the importer or dealers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To be fair, when they plugged my GSA in at the last service it alerted them to the rear wheel flange. Not exactly proactive waiting for me to come in for a service, but there you go.Perhaps you just have to take the helmet in for a service?  ;D

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Not related specifically to this helmet, but there is an interesting video on YouTube showing some of the methods BMW use to test their rider gear.View the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbYee71riA

Russell Taylor
    Participant

UpdateBMW are going to give me a new Series 6 Evo to replace my Sport Helmet. My Bluetooth kit can be adapted to my new Series 6.The kicker is it is on order and won't be here until May. Apparently the courier is a slow walker.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.