Home Forums General Discussion BMW Motorrad wins at Pikes Peak

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

BMW came, saw and conquered at the US hill-climbing classic at Pikes Peak in the Rocky Mountains 1st weekend of July. The first appearance at Pikes Peak of BMW Motorrad Team Offroad saw guest rider Casey Yarrow from California and factory rider Simo Kirssi dominate the Exhibition Class (for motorcycles above 750cc) on their HP2 Enduros, taking first and second positions.

In the unofficial ranking of all motorcycles, the BMW riders were placed fifth and sixth. The race up to the 4,300-metre Pikes Peak summit - first held 90 years ago - is the undisputed US off-road classic. The race starts at a height of 2,900 metres and ends right at the summit, some 1,400 metres higher!

The 84th 'Race to the Clouds' takes riders over a distance of 12.47 miles (about 21 kilometres), has 156 bends and has a tarmac covering for about a third of the race distance. The rest consists of a sand-covered and heavily compressed natural path, with virtually no run-off areas or barriers.

Casey Yarrow finished in 12 minutes and 20 seconds - a very respectable result which was actually seven seconds ahead of Kirssi. The 26-year-old from California was the fastest rookie at the event with an average speed of just under 100 km/h and a total time faster than last year's track record.

With a recorded top speed of 156 km/h, Simo Kirssi managed the fastest performance of any motorcycle on the 'Americas Mountain', as Pikes Peak is known by the locals. "I have no experience on asphalt whatsoever, and of course four hours of training isn't enough to be really fast," said the Finnish BMW rider, who believes he can go even quicker next year.

Casey Yarrow, who is currently one of the leading contenders in the US Supermoto Series, praised the HP2 Enduro's performance: "It's a great bike and I hope to be racing it again next year when BMW has a second go," he said.

BMW Motorrad's head of motorsport Berthold Hauser was more than satisfied with his team's showing. "We came here as rookies and we're taking a class victory home with us. This great result shows us where we are and next year we will certainly be able to get involved in the overall rankings".

Anonymous

Did you see the wheels they used. John G had the wrong wheels on the race to the sky down south.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77478

What bike have you decided on (HP2).

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Looks like they’ve used Supermoto tyres. The turns look like they are quite banked. Not sure if that was the case on the Sky race.

Anonymous

I’ve been up to the top of Pikes Peak and most of the corners where flat and they are wide a lot wider than down south.

Murray
    Participant
    Kiwi Adventure wrote:

1200GSA nice ride but too big and quite heavy for what I want to do. HP2 a nice option - but need to weigh up dollars there. Will take a look at F800GS (or whatever it's going to end up being called) if and when it arrives, but suspect it won't be what I'm looking for either. For the moment I'm sticking with the Dakar, modifying it bit by bit - it continues to keep me very happy 😆
    Anonymous
    Garry.W wrote:
    Kiwi Adventure wrote:

1200GSA nice ride but too big and quite heavy for what I want to do. HP2 a nice option - but need to weigh up dollars there. Will take a look at F800GS (or whatever it's going to end up being called) if and when it arrives, but suspect it won't be what I'm looking for either. For the moment I'm sticking with the Dakar, modifying it bit by bit - it continues to keep me very happy 😆

I'm still so undersided about the HP2. I have enjoyed both my rides on it and the HP is holding up well with no great problems world wide. I do miss the gravel, but still enjoy the RT. I enjoy it better than the 1200gs. I may have to have two bikes. (first I have to have some money to burn)

I found the HP about the same as the 650 dakar I had. You just have to watch the rear brake as it locks up real quick as well the speed as I had to wash of a lot of speed quick just to get around some of the corners. The HP handles gravel so well you don't realize how fast you are going until the corner appears.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.