Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk BIKE LIFTS – A SIMPLE SOLUTION WANTED.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Has anyone a simple solution to the problems involved working on one's bike at floor level.  That is, a solution that doesn't involve spending megabucks on buying/hiring/making a custom stand or lift which will hold the bike safely at a convenient height.  Could the idea of access to a “Communally-owned” lift have merit?  [special low rates for the over-seventies?) 😀

Anonymous

Cut me legs off and call me stumpy.

Robin
    Participant

I assume the bike has a centre stand. Mine doesn't.Just use a short seat. - serious.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A block and tackle and a simple beam along with a couple of webbing straps around the top of the frame works for me.You can lift the bike as high as you like and its safe.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Hi Bryan, I wanted something for my Cruiser and thought the best option was the tubular steel lift used by BMW which is a portable device which acts exactly as the main stand would using the lugs already on the bike.  However to get one fabricated locally was going to cost nearly $300 so I looked elsewhere.  Found this idea on the Chromeheads site and set about doing it.  Scored the Powerbuilt lift at Repco during their special time for $125 everything else I found in my shed and adapted.  The welding was a favour from a friend.First pic is of the lugs that a main stand would be attached to if I had one.P3050066.jpgNext is the steel plate with a couple of uprights drilled to take a pin.  These must fit exactly with the lugs on the bike.  Mine are placed outside those on the bike but a snug fit. The steel rod is long enough not to come out but I put a lump on one end just for safety.P3050067.jpgNow you see the aforementioned bracket attached to the bike.P3050068.jpgEnter the lift and plate to spread the load.  The cut away portion is to allow me to push it right under the bike clearing the side stand attachment.P3050069.jpgPlate mounted on lift and ready to go.P3050070.jpgSlide under bike and align with little strips glued to plate to give postion.P3050071.jpgAnd finally bike lifted up so that the rear wheel is well clear of the ground - 1 litre paint tin gives an idea of height.  It would go more but I would strap bike to lift in case of tip over. 🙂 P3050072.jpgAny questions please give me a call.

Jim Young
    Participant

A friend of mine uses an old hospital bed which has a scissors lift, I have never seen it as he is in Christchurch and only found out about it when I phoned him to see if he was ok after the recent earthquake.unfortunately his bike was on it and fell off but only sustained cosmetic damage.  🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many thanks for your sensible replies guys.  Malcolm's rig appeals to me; I notice Repco have those lifts on 'special' @ $199 until today, but am assured the 'special' price will be held for me for a couple of days.  My bike has a centre stand but it would be a pain to have to remove it to utilise those mounting lugs.  However, it looks as though the mounting studs (2 each side) for the guard-bars could be used to mount suitable custom-made load-bearers on each side of the crank case.  Hopefully that will enable clear access to the oil filter cover & sump drain.  A trial will tell how the balance will work out.  I'll keep the forum posted if there is interest.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.