Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Battery tender

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Are any of you R1200GS riders using an aftermarket battery tender on their machines? I’d be interested in some feedback please.

Thanks

Malcolm

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Sorry only saw your posting now – seems there is a decidedly lack of interest in yourt posting. I have done a lot of homework in this regard.

I use a Projecta battery tender (made in Australia) on my 1200GS (I have wired a fused seperate harness direct to my battery which attaches to my standard accesory socket to bypass the dreaded CANBUS- purchased from Powerlet in USA). The tender plugs into the accessory socket. Works great.

I believe the "BMW tender" is nothing more than a Battery Tender Plus (brand name) which can be purchased directly from Motomail in Auckland probably at half the price. Had i know this before I purchased the Projecta I would have bought it. They can also be ordered direct from the USA (see there website).

Cheers
    Richard

Anonymous

Richard I have had 4 BMW bikes and have never needed a battery tender and most owners I know don’t need it as well.

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Thanks. I was just answering the previous question.
    I have only used my tender once when I was away for 2 months and the bike was left standing and I didn't want a flat battery seeing as the nearest BMW dealer is in Hamilton. The harness was installed to run my intercom to specifically to get rid of the static interference using the Canbus. It did help but not as much as I would have liked.
    Richard

Anonymous
    tustinr wrote:
    Thanks. I was just answering the previous question.
    I have only used my tender once when I was away for 2 months and the bike was left standing and I didn't want a flat battery seeing as the nearest BMW dealer is in Hamilton. The harness was installed to run my intercom to specifically to get rid of the static interference using the Canbus. It did help but not as much as I would have liked.
    Richard

The static is not the Canbus. I have found it comes from the battery earth. Never earth intercom etc off the battery use the frame of the bike and make sure all cables and equipment are at least 50mm away from the battery earth.
    Brian TANNER
    Participant

Thanks for the advice- have tried it all to no avail. The intercom worked perfectly until the first service. The only thing I haven’t done is wire it straight to the factory harness (I use accesory socket – either via Canbus or direct to battery via additional harness) as I don’t feel too confident playing around with the wiring for fear of botching it up. I will explore that avenue when I take the bike for its next service to an accredited BMW dealer.

Thanks again
    Richard

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Thanks for your input guys. It did take a long time and I must admit I got fed up waiting and haven’t looked for a couple of weeks 🙁

I've used a battery tender on my BMs since they started using ABS. Never had a problem nor had to renew a battery.

I have done a fair bit of research on the UKgsers and Adventure sites and
    it seems just about everything has been tried and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. So where does that leave a poor electrically challenged printer? If I decide I need a charger I think I'll get a mortgage and buy the BMW item.

It seems curious that although the 1200s have fancy new batteries that "they say" hold a charge longer than the old style, they then go on about hooking up to a charger if standing longer than 4 weeks!!! Well mostly my bike will get a run every couple of weeks or so but I'm a cautious soul and don't like getting caught out. Having said that I don't think the previous owner used a charger so maybe I should wait and see. Anyway guys thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate it.

Malcolm

Xan
    Participant

When you post your message, you can tick the “Notify me when a reply is posted” option.
    (There are four options below the message body.)
    If you select this option, the Forum will send you an email when someone has replied to your message. 🙂
    You can unselect the option any time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.