Home Forums General Discussion Awesome skills.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

This guy is good: his personal protective equipment leaves something to be desired, but his skill punting his machine (I think it's a Massey Ferguson or a David Brown) around the cones is seriously impressive: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/07/rhythm-and-relaxation-an-impressive-display-of-riding-skill/

Anonymous
    Inactive

A truly spectacular effort, he has obviously trained on Jet boats and integrated the technique into mauling around a truck disguised as a motorcycle. I had no idea you could throw those things from side to side like that with so much ease.......I wouldn't want to be on the back while he was doing it,it made me dizzy just watching it. 😮

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

The amount of scraping going on makes me think he couldn't fall over anyway, he was balanced on the wheels and floor boards.  However a very smart display, I wonder if Dinger could do that back in the old days – are you awake in the Waikato??

Murray
    Participant

I'm well impressed by the layout of the cones  😛

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I'm well impressed by the layout of the cones  😛

The cone guy did a good job. The rider was quite impressive. A full lock with a bike like that can't be easy. But I guess it's the guy's job and he's got all day to practice. I like the costume he's wearing, real YMCA stuff. I bet the Indian wouldn't ride nearly as well.

Anonymous

And if the Massey-Harley-Ferguson wasn't bad enough, watch the Victory deal to the Beemer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTG_idmQMxQ&feature=relatedMalcolm"s comment, "The amount of scraping going on makes me think he couldn't fall over anyway, he was balanced on the wheels and floor boards," is probably correct! I saw a clip of a guy introducing coppers to the Victory Police Bike (which, believe it or not can blow off a Honda ST 1300 in a straight line) and he was explaining to them that the footplates, running boards, outriggers, training wheels whateveryoucallems are armoured so they can be used deliberately in tight manoeuvres. That's not really much of an option with (to us) conventional footpegs.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

As far as I know, these boards fold up just like foot pegs. If they were fixed you'd just lever the tyres off the ground. Cruisers don't have much of an lean angle, so it doesn't take much effort to get them to scrape. I remember riding Gerda's old F650 with the low suspension, that was almost impossible to get around corners without scraping something. Still, the guy is riding his bike very well, much better than I could.

Anonymous

Biggest single advantage I can see over pegs on a cruiser is that they stop the rider's heel digging in – watched one of my cobbers nearly get blown out of the saddle on the road between Whangamata and Hikuai when he dug into a corner too hard and his heel got dragged out behind him.  He reckoned later on that it caught his attention big time when it happened.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Biggest single advantage I can see over pegs on a cruiser is that they stop the rider's heel digging in - watched one of my cobbers nearly get blown out of the saddle on the road between Whangamata and Hikuai when he dug into a corner too hard and his heel got dragged out behind him.  He reckoned later on that it caught his attention big time when it happened.

One of the things I have noticed about riding the R1150gs is that sometimes my dainty size tens scrape the tarmac, which is something I have never suffered from with my previous off road mounts DR XL KLR etc... I can live with it but it does sort of focus your sphincter valve a little when your in a tight turn sometimes, another good reason for not wearing jandals I guess...ouch !!!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I always ride with the balls of my feed on the pegs. Sometimes the pegs will scrape, or the side of the boot, but you'd have to be cranking pretty hard for that to happen. Because of the upright riding position of the GS your toes will hang down the front of the peg, if you keep the peg hooked into the heel of your shoe, just the opposite to a cruiser, where it's you heel closer to the ground. I use the pegs a lot for bike control, so the hooking in the heel doesn't work for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.