Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Airhead exhaust nut alternative installed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Some of you may remember that I've had a bit of trouble with loose exhaust headers due to the exhaust header threads being damaged. I have ordered my new set up from here http://www.price.gmxhome.de/sternmutterersatz.html . Walter Price sells these for 97 Euro excl. German tax and plus freight, or $163 including freight in our money. His service is excellent they were shipped last Monday and arrived lunchtime today.This is what the thread looked like after I've cleaned it up with a fileDSC02959.jpgAs you can see the components are a high quality alloy and extremely well machined. Notice the tread on the part that clamps to the head. It matches your old thread perfectly.DSC02962.jpgIt took me a little while to work out which way to align them so I could easily reach all the screws. However, the installation is a breeze, especially if your threads aren't damaged. I've used a bit of Wuerth high temperature grease just to be sure.DSC02957.jpgDSC02956.jpgDSC02963.jpgYou don't need to tighten up the screws much to get excellent grip, as it is holding on to the thread anyway. From now on I can make adjustments with an Allen key.Admittedly the look may offend purists, but it saved me a bunch of money for the repair and I actually like it. Plus you can't argue about the practicality.  There were no leaks after start up and the headers are fixed in place tightly.I hope this is of some use to someone.Cheers,Alex

2bjr
    Participant

Thx for that info.A good cost effetely repairing.Will keep the link.Hopefully you took the old lady for a ride to make sure all is well. 😀

janejohnstewart
    Participant

Nice nuts Alex … 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.