Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk ABS unit repairs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Has anyone had experience of repairing ABS units or knows of someone that does them. R1150RT unit is pressurizing and blows fluid out overflow

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Bypass the expensive paperweight and get used to life without ABS. Cheapest option.BTW, hi Bruce. ACC Traffic 40 here.

Dave Morris
    Participant

what ya using brakes for ya gotta learn to ride smoother. Ya not driving some tamaki city holden commodore now in gsr otahuhu

Anonymous

Yup, going back to plain vanilla brakes worked out cheapest for me back in the K100LT day. As well as removing all the ugly weight there is a cost to get the bike through a Low Volume Vehicle Certificate, but that figure is not a great sum: all the inspectors know the bike still has stoppers, they'll just verify you haven't disabled them when you threw the unnecessary bits in the heap in the corner of the playpen garage.Cheers,N. Other Bruce

Anonymous
    Inactive

mr kuysten or similar once mentioned someone on the shore who has done this before, for the infamous R1150RT iABS. someone, somewhere, knows the ropes already. you lose the three (?) stage electric servo power assistance as well. good thing! imagine feathering/trailing your brakes during spirited riding and suddenly your lever pressure reduction causes the system to downshift on the assistance. frightening when the big liner surges up the exhaust of the bike in front. what estimates have you got for replacement of genuine? i heard $4.5K for the unit. I understand that despite the loss of power assistance and the retention of original piston sizes (?, cheaper!) the lever pressure is like normal brakes (compared to USA 1960s overly light/assisted or functioning iABS). be interested as the same fate awaits my 2003 machine.

Dave Ross

You guys will put an eye out without ABS.  😮

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

What model ABS is it?What years the bike?boGSer

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

integral ABSSorry can't help never had to study itGood LuckboGSer

Anonymous
    Inactive

For what its worth, I just had my R1200GS ABS repaired by a company called Modulemaster in Moscow Idaho USA. Cost was $275 USD with a five year warranty. My ABS had ceased to work, and it was showing “no power to pump motor” when we did a fault check. I continued to ride the bike over the summer with no problems whatsoever, it just didn't have the banzai braking that one normally wouldn't need in any event. It was only after riding my sons R1100S that I decided I really did want the banzai braking again, so I took the unit off and shipped it away to Idaho. It was back in about 8 days.Modulemaster said the brushes and bearings in the pump motor were seized which over here, is a far too common fault. I heard [internet gossip??] there is a group in the US about to launch a class action lawsuit against BMW for its ABS failures.If anyone needs help with the ABS issue, as a result of my problems for about 12 months, both my son and I have become half-arsed experts at sorting the system out. Ultimately though my problem was the unit itself when at first we suspected electrical wiring problems...but the good part was I learned all about BMW Canbus crap while I was at it.......Al

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Through I would put it on this thread.ABS will not link on startup. Turn the ignition on and straight away lights are flashing out of whack.ABS does not work.. was fine first thing this morning, stopped for an hour.....then not working.Any thoughts?

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Hi Dave did You have brake on when starting? Check battery voltage,was it a bit low? Check brake fluid level. Check brake light switches.If it is ABS unit trade up for a new bike for Xmas. Regards Richard

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Will check on the voltage….Don't think I'll get a look in at an upgrade.

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Bike's a 2000 R1150GS. Just had the guys check, had a hydraulic fluid fault coming up. However now reset and ABS back working again....Hmm might have to look at recondition side at some stage... can certainly notice the difference.

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

The ABS unit is still working, but decided that I will get it reconditioned. Would prefer to do this in NZ if possible.Will send to the states if there is no better option.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks Dave

Dave Morris
    Participant

theres a guy in Oz called Ray Peake. the guy is a wizard. you should see his bikes R90s fuel injected with turbo charger. he makes one off specials that are amazing.he specializes in airheads but he also recons abs units i believeRay Peake in Canungra, Gold Coast .Ray is the guru and knows it all, some people don't like him, (because he does know everything)I do because he does things right.07 5543 5962http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573275

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.