Home Forums Ride Reports A trip to America

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Our recent trip to the States started with a 15 day bike tour starting and finishing in Las Vegas.  We then flew north to Denver to do an eight day RV tour west to Grand Junction to see the Colorado National Monument, back to Denver for four days with daughter in law's mom.  Then off again in a Chrysler PT cruiser to Rawlings, Cody Wyoming through Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton to Jackson, and south to Salt Lake city.  A special treat was to stand on the Bonneville Salt Flats and just soak up the atmosphere. P6230657.jpgFrom there to a little town called Ely, then our last stop in Alamo Nevada before flying home from Vegas.  I won't bore you all with the four wheel part of the trip although it was just as special as the two wheeled section.  Yellowstone was stunning with snow to the road and still frozen lakes.  P6210585.jpgThe wild life was a special treat as we met up with a bull Moose just minutes after driving through the entrance gates.  Also saw heaps of Bison very close up, a Grizzly and cub from a distance which was something of a relief for Jean  😀 and numerous elks and other small creatures. P6210597.jpgAs for the bike trip, well I can't tell how special it was, I just don't have the words.  We left Las Vegas in 109 f degree heat and two days later as we headed into a little town called Torrey in Northern Utah it snowed heavily.  (My GS had the onboard computer and was showing 32 degrees with a little snow flake logo - very neat).  IMG_3006.jpgThe most striking things were the sheer size of the place, the plains, forests, mountains 10, 11,12,13 thousand feet and upwards.  Then the breathtaking formations in the National Parks such as Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, and many others.  Colours to stop you in your tracks over every rise or round every corner.  All of this culminating with the Grand Canyon, and Grand just doesn't do it, it's bloody awsome  😮DSC_0243.jpgDSC_0218.jpgIMG_3041.jpgWe rode for fourteen days straight covering approximately 2,700 miles in total.  A small group comprising the tour leader, (GS) three couples including ourselves and one single rider.  Tour leader and us rode GSs and the others were on HD Road Kings.  Boy was I glad of my bike choice when the road tightend up because Skip the leader would take off and I followed with the HDs some way behind.  😀  DSC_0209.jpgDSC_0208.jpgWe also had a back up van with our luggage and the stores.  Lots of drink for re hydrating at stops and the necessary nibbles (beef Jerky etc) to ward off hunger pangs between main meals. (I won't tell you how much weight I've put on).On reaching our digs each evening we would have a happy hour or two to recount the days events.  Then into the shower before dinner which was without exception a great event.  Sometimes the bourbon and tequila would come out again after dinner with story telling going on 'till late. 😉One other high point was the people we met.  We were constantly impressed with the friendliness and interest we were shown.  We stopped in a little silver mining town called Pioche which was full of wonderfull history and friendly people.  Wandering the streets Jean and I came across a 1926 Ford model T.  We were taking photos when the owner (a local truck driver) came out of his house.  Of course we got to talking and before long he was taking me for a ride.  The icing on the cake was when he offered me a drive  😆 An absolute thrill and something I couldn't have dreamed about.P6240690.jpgDSC_0235.jpgAt one of the National Parks we got talking to a guy and his wife on a beat up old Gold Wing.  What a character was Frosty Woolridge. They have travelled most of the US by bike and of course ridden in New Zealand.  Well Frosty was on a trip through the Utah National Parks doing an article for American Rider mag and has since wriiten us informing us that we have got a mention  😆When we look at where we've been it is just a dot on the map of the USA.  You could spend a couple of years I'm sure and still not see it all.

Steve Applegath
    Participant

oh yes!!!!.. i went to vegas a couple of years ago and then ten days in an XJ8 through southern utah, colorado,new mexico and nevada.. i didnt really know what to expect… but i was gobsmacked for the whole trip … bored all my friends for weeks when i got home … just do it!!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Thanks for taking the time and sharing this with us. Monument Valley looks stunning. I  love this area of the USA and I am quite keen to go for another look. Did you take a helicopter ride at the Grand Canyon?

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Sure did Alex, the shot of the group in front of the chopper was taken just before we lifted off.  The bugger flew low over the forest on the south rim then headed straight out over the edge into the canyon 😮 there were one or two sharp intakes of breath from the passengers  👿 Our Pics don't do it justice though all being taken through the chopper windows.

Anonymous

The photos look great. We are heading back next year to carry on with our driving and camping tours. I agree its so hard to explain to people back home how great the scenery is in the Stats and Canada.We are planing on starting in Oregon and heading up to Canada Did you camp at all. The PT Cruiser we had blow up just out of Salt Lake City after we travel some 6,000 miles. The car only had 2 miles on the clock when we pick it up.Camping in Canada 2005DSC00457.jpg

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Only if you can call this camping Dean  😆

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.