Home Forums Ride Reports A Night at San Hill Winery

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This weekender was just a little different in that it was to include the ZOG and other convertables if you didn't own a Z.  Terry and Jennifer, (Z3M) Noel and Maria, (MX5) John Samson (Fraser) and ourselves in the little yellow car set off on Friday morning in fine conditions for a tiki tour to Rotorua for an overnight stop.  By Saturday morning the forecast shitty weather was on its way and by the time we were heading into Taupo it was pretty wet.  To make things worse the traffic was solid from Taupo to Wairaki (Taupo Iron Man)so we thought we'd be smart and turn around, head back to Reporoa and cut through to Taupo on the Broadlands road. 40 ks later we arrived at Reparoa to find the road to Taupo closed for the cycle leg of the race 😡 Turn around and head back to Taupo but at this time John's open top Fraser was filling up with water so he decided discretion was…. you know the rest – and headed home.  As it was the traffic was not all that slow and we were soon through the township and flying down the Napier road in damp conditions.  As we headed over the hills towards Hawkes Bay the skies cleared and in traditional fashion the weather became fine enough for the tops to come off again and we proceeded with smiles on our faces towards Waipukurau.What a great venue for a weekend like this. An old infirmary/hospital it has a fabulous view from the top of the hill over the brown landscape of the Bay.  Heaps of space for the guest, it has a giant ballroom and an indoor swimming pool to boot.  The rooms are comfortable and the place is just swimming with character, I suspect we may be seeing more of the Pukeora Estate  🙂A good mix of bikes and cars and a lot of new people (ZOG) to meet saw us mingling in the early evening sun with a few bottles of wine before taking a break to tidy up and change into our chosen (German theme) costumes for the dinner and fun.  The dressing up theme as always gives folk a chance to play a little and this occasion was no exception with hoots of laughter as the various costumes arrived at the dining room.  To Norman and Marie and the Wellington group a big thanks for putting this on, and to all the BMWOR members from around the island thanks for your great company.P2280003resize.jpg Ready for the off...P2290009resize.jpgFrau in abundanceP2290010resize.jpgYou don't have to be Einstein to know who this hansome couple are  😉P2290011resize.jpgAnd did our president drink a little too much early in the evening?P2290012resize.jpgSorry Dave can't remember if you were Beethoven or Bach? or one of the other dozen German muso'sP2290014resize.jpgHmmm.... P3010031resize.jpgWho can remember Z cars?P3010030resize.jpgThese BMW drivers have to prove to each other they clean the bottom and well as the top of their cars.

Robin
    Participant

This event certainly turned out to be very popular: The atmosphere was very friendly and relaxed and the groups merged as one very early in the evening.I give you, Marlene Diedrich and Hansel & Gretel:

Dave Morris
    Participant

To make things worse the traffic was solid from Taupo to Wairaki (Taupo Iron Man)so we thought we'd be smart and turn around, head back to Reporoa and cut through to Taupo on the Broadlands road. 40 ks later we arrived at Reparoa to find the road to Taupo closed for the cycle leg of the race 😡 Turn around and head back to Taupo but at this time John's open top Fraser was filling up with water so he decided discretion was.... you know the rest - and headed home. 

👿this was really funny. Think of several seagulls standing around. Head seagull states. "I have a cunning plan". and the rest is history. You don't need to go out to Ohaaki but could of cut across the Aratiatia Road about 2 kms north of SH1 and SH5 intersection or do none of those old gallopies have GPS, or you fellas not used to going off the roads with SH plaques.  😀

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Ah yes, well my trusty navigator with the old fashioned map in hand said ” I wonder why “our leader” didn't take the Aratiatia road, it goes through to the road we want.  “I don't know” said I, “there must be a reason”.  So later I ventured to ask the question of our leader – the answer was that he didn't think we could get across the dam! “Well the map says we can” DAMN says he.  😐 DAMN say all of us.  😐 Unfortunately car to car communication was only possible at these speeds. 😉

Murray
    Participant

Yes, this turned out to be a great event. I offered to take gravel enthusiasts on a tiki tour to Pukeora. As it happens there was just one – me!! Too bad for those who missed it though, a fine trip essentially up the middle of the Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay, with a wee diversion to the coast to have a look at Blackhead beach last thing in the afternoon. First stop was Tinui for a cuppa at the General Store.KIF_1263.jpgGreat gravel from Tinui to Alfredton then a short burst up the Old Route, second on the left you head towards Pori. This is a fine piece of road. Imagine the twistiest bit of road you’ve done, cover it in gravel and dump a few truck loads of rocks over the top, you’ve got it – brilliant!!KIF_1267.jpgThe view from the top of the saddle is pretty goodKIF_1266.jpgFrom Pori it’s down to the Makauri Gorge and left onto the Paihiatua-Weber Road, just a short distance on seal then back on the gravel towards Coonor. Great wide gravel road with sweeping corners – and no traffic!!KIF_1269.jpgFound my way along to Ormondville, quick refreshment at the pub and a photo of the train station.KIF_1271.jpgFrom there it’s across the Te Uri road and through the forest.KIF_1273.jpgEnding up at Pongareheu, where I came across the Z crew, for a look down the beachKIF_1274.jpgTide was too high to try crossing the river estuary on the beach on my own, so back up the gravel to Blackhead.Couple of beers then into the dinner and festivities. A great effort from people tying their dinner attire in with the German theme.Norm and Marie – the Berlin WallKIF_1282.jpgA German Shepherd (woof), POW and JS BachKIF_1277.jpgPlenty of FrauKIF_1276.jpgNot sure, but it was funnyKIF_1281.jpgVery GermanKIF_1279.jpgWe had a great time. Thanks Norm and Marie for organising. Also, Jo and I enjoyed the spin in Norm’s Z3, but got to say - we enjoyed the spin in Terry’s Z3-M a little more. Some serious horsepower there, sorry Norm. Look forward to next year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry NZ GSR couldnt make the gravel but it is a bit tough on a GS Unicycle.Cheers Pete. Havnt made it to Coonoor yet. 😕 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.