Home Forums Ride Reports A few pictures from the weekend’s adventure ride

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

for those the funniset parts are Part 1,     4.44 s to 5.50 s  and Part 2,      6.13 s to 7.25s   but all credit you can see the difference between a 800cc twin and a 450cc single and how hard they are to ride compared to the lighter bike

6.13 wasn't a drop. There is a bog there and a branch went trough the spokes. We had to lean the bike way over to get it out.

Dave Ross

Those were great!  Looks like you were all getting pretty tired toward the end.  The guy on the 650 looked like he was over it!

He was stuffed and that was the end of his adventure ride. He went sightseeing afterwards. With the tyres he had I would not have even attempted this ride. He later thanked me for telling him to leave his panniers at the National Park petrol station.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Those were great!  Looks like you were all getting pretty tired toward the end.  The guy on the 650 looked like he was over it!

nah he was there to make Alex look good.

Dave Ross

nah he was there to make Alex look good.

Hehe, yep, he was my decoy, but you guys saw right through him :-).  The problem we all had was that the sun came out. We were all dressed for much colder weather. I was wearing 4 layers and thermal long-johns. By the time I got half way through I was soaked. You can hear Eddie breathing in one of the vids.  Next time I'll dress lighter, but carry the extra layers with me. It's really hard to concentrate when you are over-heating.Maybe I'll just have to buy a DRZ-400, if you guys keep making fun of me. The Suzuki will make me look like an adventure riding God. To be fair, Eddie was also riding an R80 and I don't think he dropped his bike.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looked like a lot of serious off roading on those vids. Alex, some of the film was hand held, but parts were on the bike. What camera and what attachment to the bike? (Just having got a Sanyo Xaxti digital movie type camera and keen to try it on the bike!)[Doing the Whangamomona loop in a couple of weeks.... will avoid the cross country section you show in the vids!]

Dave Ross

Here is a picture of the camera mounted on the bike. i hope this helps. I was quite impressed with the image quality of such a little camera.P1030236.jpg

Anonymous

Looked like fun. Some of the bikes look like they had a lot of weight up lhigh in there rear bags which would no help with the balance of the bike.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe that camera is a GoPro Hero.  The same kind Quasi used when he was following me at the trackhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjXUbmxroww  In my opinion, it's a little better than my ATC3K in that it has better quality sound and I like the wide angle view.  The video resolution is the same.  The Hero's shape is quite boxy, where mine is more bullet shaped.Link to http://www.goprocamera.com/ (they only show the current version)GoPro are coming out with an HD version at the end of October.Link to http://www.goprocamera.com/hdheropreview/ (pre-production samples of the HD video)  The video quality is AMAZING!  In Moto Clip 1, the camera is on the rider's helmet, in Moto Clip 2, it's strapped to his chest.I'm definitely getting one for Christmas!DTY

Dave Ross

Here is a section from the 42nd traverse. Unfortunately the guy with the camera is a sensationalist reporter and has focussed on the negative :-).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqiOU7dtFcIt does give a reasonably good idea what it's like. That tan coloured surface is somewhat slippery. The steepness of the terrain is still not all that obvious.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Here is a section from the 42nd traverse. Unfortunately the guy with the camera is a sensationalist reporter and has focussed on the negative :-).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqiOU7dtFcIt does give a reasonably good idea what it's like. That tan coloured surface is somewhat slippery. The steepness of the terrain is still not all that obvious.

it is on a pushbike. especiallly the three hills

Dave Ross

I guess it would be the healthier option to take a push bike through there. We are so lucky that it is still possible to do this sort of thing on a motorcycle. I intend to enjoy it for as long as I can.

Anonymous

Now that look like heaps of fun. Was Dean there?Mirror-Man

Anonymous

Now that look like heaps of fun. Was Dean there?Mirror-Man

Cycle Treads damaged a bolt on the front wheel due to being over tightened and broke the bolt off then they tried to drill the bolt out and stuffed that up as well so I had to cancel the ride and get Experience to arrange repairs on the front wheel. Dean at Experience found two bolts then were not even tightened.

Anonymous

Oh bummer, I would have been frustrated if that happened to me. 

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.