Home Forums Ride Reports A few pictures from the weekend’s adventure ride

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Just got back from Taumarunui.  I only did the 42nd and Fisher track one way and left out the Whangamomona road. Still it was an excellent weekend and I am sure the bruises will heal quickly. I was also told that you can straighten handle bars, so that's good. The small dent in the tank is hardly noticeable.Pictures without words, for now anyway.DSC00407-1.jpgDSC00409-1.jpgDSC00410.jpgDSC00412.jpgDSC00414.jpgDSC00416.jpgDSC00421.jpgDSC00423.jpgDSC00427.jpgDSC00428.jpgDSC00435.jpg

Nico Linde
    Participant

How deep was the river crossings,Been through there on quad bikes with it running at 2 to 3 ft deep.Have you tried any of the side tracks branching off the main 42 nd track.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

There was only one crossing that was a problem. Both R80's on the ride stalled in it, but so did some of the other bikes. We had to walk them through. I first didn't recognize the approach to the creek, because part of the track was flooded as well.The pictures were taken by Anthrax, one of the Kiwibiker regulars. I have selfishly saved mine, but more can be viewed here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=105273&page=17P1030306.jpgP1030303.jpgP1030311.jpgBoth BMW thankfully started again. I had to remove and dry one plug on mine. A suirt of WD40 got it going again. Because I had arsed-off (technical term) early on my right hand wasn't working all that well. But all I had to do was to slow down a little and I managed to get through all the tricky bit without further problems. I'll leave the side tracks for another day. Fishers track was harder than the traverse, we went hooned through the traverse pretty quickly.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Here are some random pictures from Fisher track and a couple from the 42nd. Some guys managed to do Fishers, the 42nd and the Old Whanga Road both ways. I wasn't one of them. I did take the scenic road home instead of riding the Old Whangamomona road. Most of these have me in it, because they're the ones I saved  😀P1030285-1.jpg[img]http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Berwyn/P1030286-1.jpgP1030286-1.jpgP10303141-1.jpguser19616_pic31711_1254041497.jpgP1030313-1.jpg

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

This shot gives a better idea of how deep it was. I could feel the bike shifting sideways.p9260044.jpg

Murray
    Participant

Nice pics Alex. Looks like it was fun.

Dave Morris
    Participant

This shot gives a better idea of how deep it was. I could feel the bike shifting sideways.p9260044.jpg

now if y had the pannies on ya could of floated thru

Anonymous
    Inactive

HOw broken are you?  Will you be healed in time for woodhill next weekend?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The nice people at Experience helped me to straighten the handle bars this afternoon. The bruises on the leg don't matter, unless I fall onto them again. Middle finger and thumb should be back to normal size by Sunday. So far the forecast is good. I guess "Thunderbirds are go"!

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

now if y had the pannies on ya could of floated thru

You would have lend me your panniers? That would have been helpful.  😀

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Don't fall off your bike, it hurts  😀Capture-2.jpg

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Sorry if I am boring you with this stuff, but here is some video footage filmed by EddieB. I fell over once, got snagged by a branch in a bog and we had to drag the bike out and then I managed to tip over the bike. It was relatively hard going.  The guy on the F650GS Dakar had road tyres on his bike, so he had a lot of opportunities to pick it up.Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjSnv4JrouYPart 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIwWYiwHyR4This sort of riding is a load of fun. Most of it is low speed stuff, falling over is part of the fun. However, it's the part that you are trying to keep to a minimum. A lighter bike is a bit easier to ride, but adventure riding usually doesn't include trailes and utes. Three of the bikes you see arrived on trailers. I remember a lot of complaining about seats on the return trip, mine was brilliant and still good to go after the 402km return trip and that included almost half on gravel.I can't wait for the next trip.

Dave Morris
    Participant

for those the funniset parts are Part 1,    4.44 s to 5.50 s  and Part 2,      6.13 s to 7.25s   but all credit you can see the difference between a 800cc twin and a 450cc single and how hard they are to ride compared to the lighter bike

Nick Taber
    Participant

Vids are good. Give a better sense of what it was like – although camera angled up or down slopes makes them look easier than they are.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Those were great!  Looks like you were all getting pretty tired toward the end.  The guy on the 650 looked like he was over it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.