Home Forums Ride Reports A Far, Far North Ride Report.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We arose at 7.30 in preparation for our first run with the London BMW club. We were heading to the Cotswolds…….. lovely.There was frost and ice on the hedges and lawn in our garden and it was 1 degree when we set off but the sun was shining on this clear, crisp autumn day so we were looking forward to a great ride.We were the first ones at the meeting point (to make sure we didn’t get lost) and slowly 9 other bikes arrived. They asked if we knew how the ‘drop off’ system worked for changing directions. In answer to my question the leader said he would point but not all do. No pre-ride briefing or discussion of which route we would be taking. We eventually left a half hour late but that didn’t matter. We travelled some very tiny lanes and quaintly named villages as we made our way towards Whittington. At times we were very spread out and once when we were the signal bike we had to wait 6 minutes for the tail end Charlie to arrive. En route we lost some people. Unlike the forward pass, which led to a try, which led to NZ’s demise, that was obvious to EVERYONE, the ‘dropped off’ rider, who was to signal the way, was not obvious to many and 6 of us went riding by the turn. Four of us realised and stopped and turned back but 2 sailed gaily on their way. One arrived at the pub because he knew the lunch place but the other we never saw again. The pub was olde worlde with doorways only about 5’ 6” high. It was very popular and therefore busy so we sat outside in the sunshine and ate a lovely roast beef and Yorkshire pudd meal. Yum. They were very friendly and welcoming. One named our bike the Star Ship Enterprise (not sure if that was complimentary or not).Three of us travelled home together. Us, because we had NO idea where we were and the other 2 because they lived in the same direction. We travelled some different roads and through places called Upper Swell and Lower Swell, Stow-on-the-Wold, Kingston Bagpuize. Some of the lanes and villages were so small there was only just room for one car and one bike to pass. Most of the journey was done at 120kph which made for some interesting moments. I was sucking in my breath often. The leader apologised to Ingel at lunch that he was riding too slowly! The London branch has about 400 members but only get about 5-10 bikes in winter and maybe a few more in the summer and very rarely do they have 2-ups or female riders. From comments made, it sounded as if things were going backwards in the club. All in all a good day and hopefully there will be more to follow. Lesley and Ingelstuff002Small.jpgstuff007Small.jpg

Murray
    Participant

Very cool Ingel, sounds like you had a bit of fun. I've been up that way and stopped at the Mill for a pint or two in the past. Did you get to see the old Roman villa not too far away? Think it's called Chadworth Villa, anyway the villa was discovered by accident in 1864, when a gamekeeper found fragments of paving and pottery lying around. An excellent place to stop for a bit of a history lesson.CheersGarry

Anonymous

How was the heated seats. Sounds like you both will need some heated clothing. I followed your trip around Europe and looked like you both had a great time. I've booked on a 6 day BMW GS ride in Australia in March and looking forward to the trip.Dean

Tharon KNOETZE
    Participant

Hi Garry and Dean, didn't get to see the old Roman Villa but saw the signs to it and will return there one day as we liked the area very much and want to explore it some more. The pub is well worth having a pint or two in and also deserves a second look  😀 And yes Dean, Lesley had the heated seat on before she even sat on it and proior to leaving the meeting point had organised a comfort stop – sound familiar?  😆

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi Ingel, good to see that you and Lesley are having a good time over there. Not even the Puhoi Pub can compete with so much history :-). I am amazed that their BMW club doesn't attract more members. Surely 400 isn't the membership for the whole region?  What's the traffic like on those roads? Narrow roads with lots of traffic worry me.Keep up the reports from up-over, we are enjoying them.Cheers,Alex

ray
    Participant

Hi GarryIngel and I returned to the Cotswolds yesterday so I could see the sights I missed at 120kph on Sunday. It was not such a nice day as Sunday but we took some different routes and saw more of the countryside. We also went to the Roman villa at Chedworth. Very interesting. I noticed, too, I had the incorrect name for the village where the Mill Inn is.....Withington and not Whittington. We called in for lunch again but the kitchen had closed 5 minutes before so we missed out. Never mind, a good excuse for a return visit maybe. The autumnal colours are just superb at the moment and the falling leaves make a pretty sight as they dance over the roadside. Looking forward to a few more rides before things freeze over completely, or get toooooooo cold for me at least.CheersLesley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.