Home Forums Rides Calendar 42nd Traverse, interested? (Oct.4 & 5)

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Wow! Alex, that's an impressive map. So would we be filling before we go gravel... Pirongia? I have a range of about 350kms and I'm not sure what that will reduce to on gravel but I expect it to come down some.Do you have an estimate for this part of the trip. It looks like with gas stops and food that we'll be 5 hours plus.Thanks for putting in so much time and energy into this. You've done well. Cheers - Des  (only two more sleeps as my kids would say when they were younger)

My bike will run dry shortly after 300km, with my luck just before :-). I suggest we top up in Pio Pio. Google maps has all these function built in, so it was an enjoyable ten minutes to produce the route. I've printed it out, so hopefully we won't get lost. Richard and I have been down this route on the way to the Capital Coast Adventure ride earlier this year.I must buy myself one of these trailtech computers http://www.trailtech.net/computers.html, they would be useful with this type of navigation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alex, from what I'm seeing the forecast is looking like it's deteriorating and coming in quicker. We are now looking at forecasted rain arriving late on Saturday and rain for Sunday. I also note further South, Wellington / Wairarapa are high winds through to gale force on Saturday and Sunday. If that's moving up on us it means we're in fro rain and a bit of wind.The 42nd Saturday looks like a good choice.C U am at the usual place.Cheers - Des

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope none of the riders are coming from the shore, or at least know the motorway is closed till midday'ish Saturday around the damaged bridge.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alex, what a stunner of a ride. I'll post up later I just wanted to mention I got passed by Richard on the Southern Motorway around Papakura. Obviously he'd been reunited with his boots and made it back okay.And the moral is....Cheers - Des(What a great bunch of guys to ride with, especially Donald, the first and fastest guy into the deepest stream we crossed when another bike stopped at the deep point.)We also did the 42nd, the wrong way round, we did it the hard way, with it raining on and off and just before dark.How far did Donald make it without off road tyres?Donald also had a barely legal bald front tyre!Well he did make it past the 3km point...  🙂

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Des, I've started a new topic under reports. Feel free to continue there. I am glad Richard got his boots back.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.