Home Forums Rides Calendar 42nd Traverse, interested? (Oct.4 & 5)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I would not take a new F650GS onto the 42nd traverse, unless you want to give it some premature 'character'. I've booked 4 people into room 6 at the Owhango Hotel @ $30 a head. It's not flash, but tidy and we'll only be there for one night. The pub has good meals. I am sure you guys will like it. Donald, please let me know if you are still in, otherwise I will have to change the booking.Cheers,Alex

Mohammed Mahdi Essop
    Participant

Hi KokopelliI am still in but I only have the standard Dakar tyres not knobblies. Perhaps i will come along and see how I fair and turn around if it gets too bad. I can then meet you somewhere on the other side? What are your feelings, i dont want to hold every-one up

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can then meet you somewhere on the other side?

Please, not yet....  I'm too young to go to the other side.Those guys in the links were riding some pretty big bikes with pretty plain tyres I thought. Donald we should have some fun out there. I'm just hoping that the rain stays away. I see the forecast has showers down there Thursday and looking like clearing from there. I have my fingers crossed for a good weekend.Of course there is time to change tyres before the weekend. Sadly I need another new tyre this week or next.

Mohammed Mahdi Essop
    Participant

Great! If there are any last minute changes please email me as I am not always in the office to check the website but I do have a blackberry and can reply a lot quicker.Do we need any bedding at the accomodation?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi KokopelliI am still in but I only have the standard Dakar tyres not knobblies. Perhaps i will come along and see how I fair and turn around if it gets too bad. I can then meet you somewhere on the other side? What are your feelings, i dont want to hold every-one up

Let's see how we go. It's not a huge distance to cover. I guess over the 42km there will be a couple of bits that are a bit tricky, but the four of us should be able to get it through. It also depends on your riding experience. Come along, have a look what the track is like. If it's not for you, you can turn around and meet us back at Owhango, that's were the track comes out again. If we're lucky it will be dry anyway.The guy you may have seen struggling on the KTM Adventure has only just bought the bike and has no prior big bike experience. He had a DR650 before. The Dakar doesn't have the low front mudguard either.Pinched from Kiwirider, on the same ride around Whanga [img]http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106549&d=1222586778[/img]

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

No bedding needed. We'll travel light, take some photos and have a good time. The traverse will be the only tricky section, the rest are just neat gravel roads.

Dave Morris
    Participant

i reckon about 3km

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Looks like the weather will go down hill on Sunday. Out best bet seems to be to do the traverse on Saturday afternoon. If we manage Owhango before 4pm we should have enough time to do it. However, if there is a problem, we'll have a wet and cold night. Something to think about when we make the decision.

Anonymous
    Inactive

AlexIt looks like dropping in later on Sunday from what I'm reading and that's down South so we should miss all of that. I guess just keep watching it.Cold night... so take a sleeping bag just in case? Actually with the time you'd planned on hitting the 42nd and the level of light I can't imagine us not being out. I'm looking forward to getting going. So what was the final number of riders?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Four hardy riders will  be on this ride.Most people seem to prefer the comforts of the road to a bit of adventure and a dirty bike. That's the advantage of not riding the latest and greatest, you don't mind using what you've got and consider the odd battle scar on the bike as additional character :-).Des, check out the Pampera 450 om http://www.gasgas.co.nz/07.html. For less than $8000 you get a pretty good bike. All it needs is a larger tank.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've seen the pampera for a while and read the reviews, they can't seem to off load these 2007 Field day specials. I'm guessing you can get a much better deal than the $7995 as well.While they look short it's an optical illusion, they're actual standard tall. So I guess they're longer. I went down to Moto-X in East Tamakei and had a look and they didn't seem to know much about them, had no information on them adn didn't know if they were carbed or injected. There was just a complete lack of enthusiasm to talk with someone about the Pampera.The price seems good except of course you can go get the Suzuki DR650 for $8995 and possibly less if you haggle. At least you know the Suzuki is bullet proof.

peter.trub
    Participant

Let's see how we go. It's not a huge distance to cover. I guess over the 42km there will be a couple of bits that are a bit tricky, but the four of us should be able to get it through. It also depends on your riding experience. Come along, have a look what the track is like. If it's not for you, you can turn around and meet us back at Owhango, that's were the track comes out again. If we're lucky it will be dry anyway.The guy you may have seen struggling on the KTM Adventure has only just bought the bike and has no prior big bike experience. He had a DR650 before. The Dakar doesn't have the low front mudguard either.Pinched from Kiwirider, on the same ride around Whanga [img]http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106549&d=1222586778[/img]

If you look at the pic you will notice to heads on the Dakar. Yes he was two up. Rode past me as I was bogged to the eyeballs two feet of the end of the concrete bridge then dissapeared up the track 😳

Dave Ross
    Keymaster
    Dave Ross
    Keymaster

If you look at the pic you will notice to heads on the Dakar. Yes he was two up. Rode past me as I was bogged to the eyeballs two feet of the end of the concrete bridge then dissapeared up the track embarassed

Looks like a lot of fun, I hope you've enjoyed yourself. The extra weight must aid traction :-). There is no way I would do any of this two up. I must admire the pillion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow! Alex, that's an impressive map. So would we be filling before we go gravel… Pirongia? I have a range of about 350kms and I'm not sure what that will reduce to on gravel but I expect it to come down some.Do you have an estimate for this part of the trip. It looks like with gas stops and food that we'll be 5 hours plus.Thanks for putting in so much time and energy into this. You've done well. Cheers - Des  (only two more sleeps as my kids would say when they were younger)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.