Home Forums Rides Calendar 42nd Traverse, interested? (Oct.4 & 5)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi Des,4&5th is working much better for me, and it seems that it fits in with Richard K as well. I have also been doing a bit of research on the Taranaki area. These tunnels intrigued me. But I'll leave it up to the majority to decide. We wouldn't miss the excitement, as we could do the Old Whangamomona Rd to the bridge to somewhere. It hasn't seen a grader in 60 years, but is only doable when it's dry. Knobs a must. We could spent the night at Whangamommona or Awakino.If we leave early enough, say (7.30 am at BP Papakura) we'd be able to do Kiwi Rd plus Otaraoa Rd to Whangamomona. This would include a couple of tunnels already. The on the next day the Old Whanga road and then head back north again.Otherwise it's on similar roads to Owhango, spend the night there, do the 42nd and then back north.Let me know which way you guys want to go. If we know early enough we can book in advance, but once we're booked we're committed to a location.Check out the link below.http://www.pukeariki.com/en/stories/transport/taratunnels.htmThere is a lunch ride to the Orua Bird Garden, but I don't have to go on that one.Distance wise the Taranaki option is further, so we'd have to keep moving and not have any long lunches.

Mohammed Mahdi Essop
    Participant

Hi KokopelliIs there an Auckland ride this Sunday?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

No ride this Sunday. There is always a ride on the first and third Sunday of the month. The first ride is a lunch ride followed by a register ride. On lunch rides you make your own way to the destination and on register rides you have the option of joining the group. Rides are advertised in the newsletter and on the calendar of this forum.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I think we should decide by this Sunday. Tunnels (Whanga Hotel) or Traverse (Owhango Pub), I can commit to the 4&5th.  Plus the 5th gives us extra daylight for the return trip.We'd leave 7.30 am from BP Papakura. Go on Gravel from Raglan to Pio Pio and on to Ohura.If we do Whanga we go onto Okau rd then Kiwi Rd, come out at Uruti, then carry on to Waitara where we turn onto Otaraoa Rd towards Ohura Rd onto Whangamomona.Otherwise it's Ohura towards Taunarunui and then via Hikumutu Rd to Owhango. We need:Good tyres (knobs would be best, unless you feel lucky)Repair kit & toolsWaterSome snacksFirst aid kit (I have one)Phone (chances are there will  be no reception)MapsMoneyIf we book we shouldn't need sleeping bags.I want to travel as light as possible at very sane speeds.Please let me know your thoughts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My thoughts are in blue. I can cope with the 4th and 5th.We'd leave 7.30 am from BP Papakura. An early start sounds fine and I can cope with 7.00 onwards. Just out of curiosity are we all located centrally?We need:Good tyres (knobs would be best, unless you feel lucky) Repair kit & toolsWaterSome snacksFirst aid kit (I have one)Phone (chances are there will  be no reception)MapsMoney(done)If we book we shouldn't need sleeping bags.let's bookI want to travel as light as possible at very sane speeds. AgreedPlease let me know your thoughts.If we take the direct route down can we do the 42nd and still make Whanga for the night? At the moment there is rain scheduled for the early part of next week down that way and I'm wondering how this will effect the 42nd.Cheers - Des

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

From what I hear the 42nd is best approached from the Taurewa side. Apparently, If you leave from Owhango you have to face a couple of really steep sections, that may be too difficult to ride up. It's about 40km from Owhango, and we should allow 2+ hours for the traverse. Then another 2 hours + to get to Whangamomona. If we book we're committed to making Whanga. I'll ring them tomorrow to find out what their room situation is for that weekend. It's school holidays, so this may be an issue.You've got to keep in mind that gravel roads are quite slow, at least the good ones. It would be foolish to put ourselves under too much pressure to reach a destination.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alex we could always park up in Taumarunui or Owhango etc.What I'd really like is a place to stay that at best has a spa pool, second best a spa bath and lastly a big hot bath. If we go into Whanga through the first route Ohau, kiwi waitara etc that will give us a full day riding. So we'd be gassing up in Waitara on the Saturday stopping at Whanga and gasing up at Owhango before and probably after the 42nd on Sunday.If we can park up closer to the 42nd either Taumarunui, Owhango, National Park etc That'll mean we can do the 42nd and be out for lunch and a ride back. According to wises it's 2 hours from Whanga to Owhango. So would we be aiming for an earlier start on the Sunday as well.  Are you planning to do as much off road on the way back as well (within reason).I wonder if it's useful at this stage for us to get together over a coffee and decide where we want to stop for the night. How does late Sunday afternoon sound?Cheers - Des

Anonymous
    Inactive

I knew there was a reason I wasn't following this thread.Alex, have you seen the near-new R80GS basic on Trademe?  Looks like it's fresh from the showroom floor.  Auction Number: 177865298

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Yes, it's been on ebay before that. I also know that it's not even close to the guys reserve. I much prefer mine, because it was cheap and I don't feel bad about using it. Motorcycles are meant to be used, not stored as sculptures. But you already knew that Mr. 75/6 abuser :-).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, there's also another 75/6 for sale.  But they're not for the faint hearted, they've been known to show a Cagiva a thing or two.Auction Number: 177964991

Dave Morris
    Participant

Yeah, there's also another 75/6 for sale.  But they're not for the faint hearted, they've been known to show a Cagiva a thing or two.Auction Number: 177964991

http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=65bmllooks like my old bike. 65BML is the numbe plate from memory 

Xan
    Participant

http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=65bml

That's handy web site.It looks like Motorweb but they give you some info for free  🙂

Jim Young
    Participant

Theres no doubt about it Mr B is up with the play, it used to be called carfax.co.nz, thought it looked familiar

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I found these photos from the Kiwibiker tour. Included a section on the 42nd Traverse. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7989976#post7989976I'll make a booking for Owhango today. Donald, are you still in? We'll do the traverse either in the afternoon if there is still time, or the following morning. Looks to be a bit of mud around, so I wouldn't do it on trailwings. Over all it doesn't seem to be too bad.After the main event we can just go exploring and see what else there is to ride on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the link Alex. I'm looking forward to the ride. I'll also follow that guys link for more posts and photo's.I really need to borrow a bike like Arne's F650GS.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.