Home Forums Rides Calendar 42nd Traverse, interested? (Oct.4 & 5)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author

You could have at least put some lipstick on, Steve.

Dave Morris
    Participant

You could have at least put some lipstick on, Steve.

ismy name Pallin

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi AlexI can go.... I would want to be back by Sunday the 5th 11am. But I can go down Thursday or Friday the 2nd or 3rd. My thoughts are a 3rd and 4th of October trip.I had planned to replace my 250 but hadn't got to it. Too many bikes to choose from. I'm wanting a bike I can ride there, ride off road and ride back, that has a bit of grunt. So the 450's through to 650's are appealing. I'm unlikely to change bikes before then (unless I get real serious about doing that).I am good for riding the 27th and 28th as well but see that is not an option for you. It's fairly easy for me to take a day of work if I know a little in advance.Cheers

Dave Ross

Seeing that it is during the term break I could do Friday.  It's unlikely that you would make it back by Sunday 11am. You could look at a DRZ400, they are excellent bikes and can be had for a reasonable price. The 250 is fine on gravel roads, but will struggle on the open road.We'll keep the planning flexible, depending on the weather. For the 42nd traverse I'd like to have three people in the group. If anyone else is keen, but not keen enough for the traverse, let us know anyway.Here is a link to a youtube video to give you an idea of what it's like.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M49qdSx60II

Steve Applegath
    Participant

ok … will keep in mind… the 1200 loves this stuff… and i love it too … with a liitle help thru the tough bits .. will follow the thread

Dave Ross

here is part two of the video cliphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7fy_UipnnU&feature=relatedThe water crossings will be the most interesting bit. This is where it pays to have a bit of manpower around.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi AlexI've been filtering through a few more of the videos and it seems like a fun ride. I would have thought if we were looking at Friday and Saturday we'd be back sometime Saturday. So Sunday 11 am would be fine?Keep me posted and in the interim I'll get sorted in case we're on. Should be a fun couple of days out.Cheers - Des

Anonymous
    Inactive

and the same guys on some rougher bits.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrElY923mpg&feature=relatedand this one with photo's taken every 500 metres for the length of the 42nd Traverse.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_UM4qnuSjw&feature=relatedIt seems like there must be more than one road because this last youtube vid of pictures every 500 metres has enough images to cover the length of the 42nd Traverse but the vid above with the quad and 4wd looks tighter. Although at one point the quad shoots up a little track. I wonder if there are a few roading options.Anyone know?

Dave Ross

There are a few side tracks, it's an old logging road after all. None of them lead back out though. There is also an option called Fisher track. It's in the area, but I am not sure where it begins.Reofix, would be good  to have you along. We'll help to push your bike  😀

aegis4805
    Participant

There are a few side tracks, it's an old logging road after all. None of them lead back out though. There is also an option called Fisher track. It's in the area, but I am not sure where it begins.Reofix, would be good  to have you along. We'll help to push your bike  😀

Alex et al - I continue to watch with interest - Fisher's Track starts in National Park - couple of streets North of the BP Station - great ride (did it on m DR350 in March) - main challenge I found was negotiating the slippery Papa slabs without the front wheel washing out.I experienced one fall in such circumstances - happened in a flash - would consider taking my 1150 on Fisher's but it would certainly be a handful. None of you keen to join me on the Taranaki Tunnels tour? Cheers S

Anonymous
    Inactive

AslanWhat are Papa slabs? The Fisher sounds like one big down hill track largely.Aslan I'll wander over to Kiwibiker and have a look. there are a lot of rides being posted up there with a Coromandel ride as well in the adventure section in November, camp out or cabin out seems to be optional. That sounds like an option as well. We need to find a core bunch of off road riders up here. Kiwibiker seems like a good place to fish around.I only have a DR250 at the moment and National Park would be a bit of a ride. I need a bigger bike and more experience. Bigger off-road bike that is. I'm actually free to ride the weekend of the 27/28th and was probably looking at one very long ride looping through up North and hopefully one day long but 2 at worst.__________________re: the 42nd TraverseI spoke to the good people at the local information centre and have a map coming for the 42nd. (it's a photocopy). The river levels are good at present and she mentioned just being mindful if it starts to bucket down that the river levels can rise.There is ample info on line about where the Fisher starts and if you pop onto the mountain bikes sites they seem to list the tracks and which ones have 4WD's using them. Which meant to me, bikes can use them.here are some of the bicycle sites... sorry, I forgot to note what was what so just fish through. Apparently the unicycle guys can do most of the 42nd traverse on a unicycle.http://www.unicycle.co.nz/View.php?action=Page&Name=42ndTraversehttp://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-around-the-world/asia-and-pacific-trails/trails-asia-and-pacific-other/trail/PRD_164901_4517crx.aspxhttp://nationalpark.co.nz/pages/activities/mountain-biking.phphttp://www.adventurenationalpark.co.nz/pages/activities/mountain-biking.phpIf you jump on the National park site and go to activities there are a few people running motorised tours through the area. Including day long tours. I figured they'd be worth a call for track conditions and locations. You can go through on a quad, or my favourite the two seater off road buggy in a fully enclosed rollcage with full harness. (including morning tea and lunch from memory). Imagine how far and how fast you could go in the alotted time.

Dave Ross

Imagine how far and how fast you could go in the alotted time.

Allowing for the occasional stop to clean out a mountain biker or two from under the chassis.

Dave Ross

What are Papa slabs?

Papa is clay (Maori- earth or ground). It is very slippery. I hit a patch once at speed, just before Mount Damper, the seat still has pucker marks from that.Aslan, I'd love to come, but this is the busiest time of the year for me and I will have to work on Saturdays. Please keep track of the roads you'll go on, because we may do that instead if we get too much rain causing rising creek levels. I don't want to drown the bike and then push it for the rest of the way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi AslanI've trawled the TTTTT post. That sounds like an awesome run. So what I need to think about is;- whether I want to do that instead of the road ride that weekend.(leaning to road because I'm planning on making the rusty)- whether I can get my stuff together in time to make it down there for the 27th.- and I need to confirm by Wednesday next week at worst but practically sooner.Those guys have put together a pretty impressive package. The tunnels and tallest waterfall look / sound impressive. I'll let you know what I decide.Thanks.____________________________AlexI don't know if you've been through the TTTTT  thread on KB, it's a long read. But they were tossing up between the 27/28 September and the 3/4 October. When they finally settled on the 27/28 there were a few riders that could not make the other date. I notice one of those is GunnyRob who rode to Kawhia with us in that miserable weather (from memory). If you PM him you may have another starter.You could also fish through the KB thread to find those interested in the 3/4th October as a possibility. Or post.Cheers.

aegis4805
    Participant

Hi AslanI've trawled the TTTTT post. That sounds like an awesome run. So what I need to think about is;- whether I want to do that instead of the road ride that weekend.(leaning to road because I'm planning on making the rusty)- whether I can get my stuff together in time to make it down there for the 27th.- and I need to confirm by Wednesday next week at worst but practically sooner.Those guys have put together a pretty impressive package. The tunnels and tallest waterfall look / sound impressive. I'll let you know what I decide.Thanks.____________________________

cheers Des - I've committed to the Taranaki tunnels - hve been there before and really like the area.I may be up for the 42 Traverse at some other time - wouldn't plan on doing it on my 1150GS though 🙁regards Stephen O aka Aslan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.