Home Forums Rides Calendar 42nd Traverse, interested? (Oct.4 & 5)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I want to do the 42nd Traverse on the weekend of the 4th of October. The idea is to ride as much gravel as possible to Owhango. Spend the night at the pub and head off in the morning towards Taurewa. The entry to the track is on Kapoor Rd,  somewhere just beforeTaurewa. We'd then do the track 2-3 hours and come out at Qwhango again. Have lunch at “Out of the Fog” and then ride back to Auckland. It's Daylight savings weekend, so Sunday should gain us a bit more daylight.I have never done this track before. I know that it has couple of steep downhill sections. Your bike should have off-road capable tyres and you should be reasonably experienced, or very experienced if riding a big bike. Actually, I don't know if a big GS can do this. The 42 Traverse is an old logging road that cuts through Tongariro Forest and is popular with mountain bikers for its challenging terrain and suberb views. It gets it’s name from the original State Forest 42 as well as being 42km long.4WD vehicle access on the 42 Traverse is open between 1 December and 30 April only, and 4WD vehicles are not permitted off this route. There is no acess to any other roads off the 42 Traverse. This is a rough 4WD track unsuitable for SUV's, and recovery gear should always be taken with you. Care is needed as river levels can rise quickly after rain. Always cross waterways only after checking they are safe.This track is gaining popularity among mountain bikers for it’s challenging terrain and superb views. The ride takes approximately 6-8 hours from Kapoors Rd to Owhango, with several river crossings, taking in regenerating forest, the awesome Canyon valley and finishing with a fantastic downhill.Riders should equip themselves with appropriate clothing and equipment, spare brake pads, map and compass and food and drinkPlease let me know if you are interested. I have no intention of doing it alone, as it is much safer in a group.

Dave Morris
    Participant

done it on a mountain bike. good luck u will need it. also do thompsons track from tearoha to katikati

Anonymous

done it on a mountain bike. good luck u will need it. also do thompsons track from tearoha to katikati

Cood luck with Thompson track as well on a big bike. 😎

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Sounds like you're not interested. A friend has done the 42nd on a KTM 950 with luggage and dual sport tyres and he is a bit on the short side. I figure I'll be ok on the R80. But as I've said, I won't do it alone.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

It's Daylight savings weekend, so Sunday should gain us a bit more daylight.

Daylight savings starts earlier this year. Changeover is September 28. See Dept of Internal Affairs page at:http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Daylight-Saving-Index

Dave Morris
    Participant

and ifs been raining u will need the daylight savings. there was quite a bit of slippery stuff at the beginning. as u get to middle section a very nasty bog hole by the river crossing and a very steep part. there may be alternates around them. ya may as well look a fishers track while ya down there. re thopsons track track deam with ya. i did it the first day i bought my GS, was very interesting 

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

and ifs been raining u will need the daylight savings. there was quite a bit of slippery stuff at the beginning. as u get to middle section a very nasty bog hole by the river crossing and a very steep part. there may be alternates around them. ya may as well look a fishers track while ya down there. re thopsons track track deam with ya. i did it the first day i bought my GS, was very interesting 

If it's wet I'll give it a miss. It's very likely that bikes will be dropped occasionally, so if 3-4 people were keen it would be ideal.  There are plenty of alternative rides in this area, so there is no need to be pig headed about the whole thing. It would be relatively easy on 250's, but it will be a challenge on real adventure bikes.

aegis4805
    Participant

Hi Alex – I began to do this ride on my DR350 during the first weekend in March this year but pulled the pin as the weather was atrocious. I managed to do Fishers Track however and would consider taking my 1150 on that track going downhill from National Park to Reteruke on the weekend of the TTTTT (young1's ride to the Taranaki Tunnels & Whangamomona on the weekend of 25/26 Sept.)Would be great to see other BMWOR members who enjoy getting their GS's dirty on this ride.http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=79701cheers Stephen O aka Aslan  🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Alex, I'm interested. The weekend doesn't work for me at the moment. It looks like you don't have much in the way of replies at the moment.If it doesn't come together for those dates are you good for a little later. I'm assuming it conincides with school hols.The two questions I have is how hard is the track and how cold will it be. Used to have friends living in the big T, Owhango and National Park and still remember how cold it gets in there.Give me a call and lets see what comes of it.Cheers - Des.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi Alex - I began to do this ride on my DR350 during the first weekend in March this year but pulled the pin as the weather was atrocious. I managed to do Fishers Track however and would consider taking my 1150 on that track going downhill from National Park to Reteruke on the weekend of the TTTTT (young1's ride to the Taranaki Tunnels & Whangamomona on the weekend of 25/26 Sept.)Would be great to see other BMWOR members who enjoy getting their GS's dirty on this ride.http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=79701cheers Stephen O aka Aslan  🙂

Hi Stephen,the weekend is on the 27th and 28th. My daughter has her graduation on the 25th, so I couldn't go then any way. The 27th may be possible, so I'll think about it. Cheers,Alex

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Hi Alex, I'm interested. The weekend doesn't work for me at the moment. It looks like you don't have much in the way of replies at the moment.If it doesn't come together for those dates are you good for a little later. I'm assuming it conincides with school hols.The two questions I have is how hard is the track and how cold will it be. Used to have friends living in the big T, Owhango and National Park and still remember how cold it gets in there.Give me a call and lets see what comes of it.Cheers - Des.

Des the track is difficult and it could be cold. But the degree of difficulty will keep the cold away. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to get through, unless there is a lot of picking up of bikes or getting stuck in places, even then you wouldn't feel the cold.I am considering Stephen's option as well. The scenery down there is spectacular. The 42nd traverse will be around for a while yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alex, I figure the worst that can happen is that we have a good time and maybe incur a little bike damage. The best that could happen is that we'd have a good time. So what specifically was the other option.As for the cold, I'd just come off a long weekend day ride where i had dressed inappropriately and got %$$&%#$ cold for the first part of the day, then that night put on the rain gear and layers and was fine.The one thing I'm reminded to do is to make sure I stay warm. I wonder if the Owhango thing is better later in November but having said that I'd be a starter if the weekend works out. We've had some great riding weather of late and i don't feel i've done enough riding to shake off that feeling that i haven't riden enough lately.I'll give you a call when i know how the next few weekends are shaping up.Cheers

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I have just realized that I'll be working on the 27th. October 4 & 5 is the only possibility. We will only proceed if the weather is favourable. The idea is to keep any risk to a minimum while having as much fun as possible.

aegis4805
    Participant

Alex, I figure the worst that can happen is that we have a good time and maybe incur a little bike damage. The best that could happen is that we'd have a good time. So what specifically was the other option.As for the cold, I'd just come off a long weekend day ride where i had dressed inappropriately and got %$$&%#$ cold for the first part of the day, then that night put on the rain gear and layers and was fine.The one thing I'm reminded to do is to make sure I stay warm. I wonder if the Owhango thing is better later in November but having said that I'd be a starter if the weekend works out. We've had some great riding weather of late and i don't feel i've done enough riding to shake off that feeling that i haven't riden enough lately.I'll give you a call when i know how the next few weekends are shaping up.Cheers

Hi Des and Alex - the alternative I was trying to encourage you both to partake of is the Taranaki Tunnels Tour - see URL (Kiwi Bikeer Adventure forum) earlier in this thread. That ride is on over the weekend 27/28 September and riding Fishers Track and the 42nd Traverse is being discussed by some who have registered for that ride. Cheers S

Dave Morris
    Participant

If it's wet I'll give it a miss. It's very likely that bikes will be dropped occasionally, so if 3-4 people were keen it would be ideal.  There are plenty of alternative rides in this area, so there is no need to be pig headed about the whole thing. It would be relatively easy on 250's, but it will be a challenge on real adventure bikes.whose says i am being pigheaded

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.