Home Forums General Discussion 2007 BMW Safari in NZ

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I am sorry to hear you are moving away, but I am sure we'll catch up on future rides. Well, if there are any other land owners out there you don't mind a few bike tracks on their land I'd be glad to hear from you. The same applies if you have a rabbit problem 🙂

A couple of friends and I have just scored 500 acres to ride on out west it was great lots of hills and forest, if you are interested I can give you a call when we go out next time I'm sure 1 more bike wouldn't hurt. It would be a good trial for the 80GS and you.

Dave Ross

Yes please, thank you.

Dave Ross

I would be more than happy to help out with some one and two day rides and I may even be able to pass on some of my knowledge of riding big bikes. Henry has said if we could come up with some riding ideas there may be some help coming from BMW 😮

I'd like to learn this110807197-S.jpg

Anonymous

I would be more than happy to help out with some one and two day rides and I may even be able to pass on some of my knowledge of riding big bikes. Henry has said if we could come up with some riding ideas there may be some help coming from BMW 😮

How did you get that picture of me 😕

Anonymous

Yes please, thank you.

Add me to the list as well 😎

2bjr
    Participant

I would be more than happy to help out  :with some one and two day rides and I may even be able to pass on some of my knowledge of riding big bikes. Henry has said if we could come up with some riding ideas there may be some help coming from BMW 😮

Mmmmm...... 👿 👿How did you get that picture of me 😕

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wouldn't support a BMW only adventure as I ride with guys who ride everything from postie bikes to triumph tigers. I bought my Dakar after an adventure ride i did on my DR650, if it had been BMW only I 🙄 would have ended up on a KTM perhaps.As BMW riders are scared to be shown up by other makes?Cheers Pete. 🙄

Anonymous

As I understand BMW's Safaris are a BMW client event all over the world. NZ BMW had it as a marketing event to get more BMW owners. I support the BMW only Safari idea as it's a thank you to owners of BMW bikes, and not a hand out to the other types of bike owners to have a cheaper adventure ride.Yamaha have stepped up and put some money in for adventure riding and so should other makes who sell a lot more bikes than BMW does.I don't see KTM sponsoring big bike adventure rides 😐

Brian TANNER
    Participant

There were a fair number of BMWs at the Adventure Ride this year – 650s and the bigger bikes.  There were also a large number of very unhappy BMW riders, myself included.  it was advertised as a ride with 2 options 1.) for both larger Adv bikes (1200) with/out  pillion and 2.) an alternative more adventurous route for those wanting to test their skill base.  This turned out not to be the case – most of the course was doiwnright dangerous for 1200s 2 up and there were many unhappy riders – a large group of us ended up doing our own rides and just meeting at the motel in the evening.  I was very disappointed with the organisers attitude and some of their comments and in fact wrote them a diplomatic email on my return home – have yet to get a response and its 3 months ago.  I know I am not alone in my feelings. Having said that the 1200 is certainly capable of holding its own on most gravel roads but its a bitch on the technical sections and 2 up its nigh impossible.  One poor fella rammed his gear box on day 1 on his nearly new 1200 - end of the road for him.  I saw a fella on his 650 fall infront of me app 5 times.  The rider was exhausted and terrified.My wife and I did nearly 2000km of gravel and dirt on South Island on that trip incl. the Molesworth both directions.  We had a wonderful trip and met some great people on the adventure ride.  It would be absolutely fantastic if it were sponsored by BMW again however I have no problem with it being open to other bigger bikes as long as the route is sutable for the 1200 !Had I been riding an HP solo - no worries ! Rich

Anonymous

I never heard one complaint about how hard the ride was. I thgought it was great and the best ride I had been on.The chap who damaged his GS gear box is now a proud owner of a 1200HP and looking forward to the next adventure ride. It was just bad luck on his part. He will give me a run for my money now he has an HPThe BMWOR could organise touring rides for those who enjoy the back country roads, Wellington is doing just that. BMW is bringing out more capable bikes now so the rides will be designed more around these bikes than the big heavy bikes of the past.  I have noticed some of the older rides have changed there bikes for lighter bikes over the past couple of years and are enjoying the ride more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keep me posted about the 2008 !

Murray
    Participant

Go here http://www.bmwsafari.com/invitation/index.html

Anonymous

Go here http://www.bmwsafari.com/invitation/index.html

Are you coming to the ride. It's one of my planned rides for next year 😀

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Mate, I am not sure what planet you live on – there were plenty of disatified bikers at the 2007 safari, including some very experienced riders on VStroms, KTMs and the like.  One such rider, who also happens to be an ex NZ enduro champ, expressed his disappointment at some of the sections particularly with regard big bikes.  I can count at least 15 bikes, many 650s, who pulled out of the ride earlier on. The bottom line is that the advertising for the ride was aimed at the wrong end of the market and  was misleading and for that they could at least have responded to our comments during the event and after.  One of the Suzuki sponsors even went as far as saying he couldn't care less if no BMWs turned up at the next event as it was for Suzukis. And thats no bullshit. Heard it with my own ears.I certainly don't have 30grand to throw away on a yearly basis.  And why shouldn't I want to share the back country with my wife. I am not an  inexperienced rider either however don't see the point in stoking my ego on a ride like that especially when it was NOT advertised as such.Having said that the organisation of the event was very well done, the catering was excellent.  The attitude sucks though !

Murray
    Participant

Are you coming to the ride. It's one of my planned rides for next year 😀

Wouldn't mind  😀 Ian S. has done a few and said it's huge, problem is I'm told they're quite hard to get on unless you book about 2 years in advance. I'm also told first prefernece is given to riders who have done previous events, then other Australian BMW owners before anyone else and they limit the number. It is however, on my "to do" list.You well and riding lots?Cheers,Garry

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.