Home Forums General Discussion 2007 BMW Safari in NZ

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Well, I didnt think my initial response would create such interest!!I hope Henry and Carl get a chance to note the interest that seems to be there on this topic.I like the idea of being challenged, which must be common to all bikers? Going out with a group of adventure-minded bikers makes for a pressure-cooker environment, and I am willing to pay for that extra challenge. Yes I dropped my bike several times on the 07 Safari but I look back on it with huge pride and satisfaction. Hence my desire to do another one.But I definitely heard Robbie Cricket, the 07 Safari route setter, say during our 07 briefing that his course was more a Mike Britten-type course, and my understanding is that not many "big traillies" do Mike Britten rides these days. There are always exceptions of course so I am talking in general terms.Great to read peoples views... ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I guess since my R80GS still counts as a big bike I will be alright :-). It seems to be hard to find like minded people in Auckland and it's also not easy to find riding areas besides the usual gravel roads. While I enjoy gravel roads a lot, they are no longer challenging. Having said that, my skill level for anything else is not all that high :-).

Anonymous

I would be more than happy to help out with some one and two day rides and I may even be able to pass on some of my knowledge of riding big bikes. Henry has said if we could come up with some riding ideas there may be some help coming from BMW ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

You need access to land. Getting into Riverhead forest would be a start. I enjoyed that bit during the KiwiRider Kaipara ride. Coming back to the BMW only rides. I wonder how wise it is not to allow other marques. I would make more sense, from a marketing point of view, to limit it to bigger bikes, such as the Vstrom, big KTMs etc, maybe with a 800 cc limit :evil:. Surely BMW is interested in exposing potential clients to their bikes. Limiting it to BMWs only will not be a draw card to buy one, as there are plenty of dual sport events out there.

Anonymous

It's not a marketing event it's a look after there customers event. I believe you sell more product by word of mouth from happy customers. All my work comes from recommendations from other clients. All car events like BMW track days, Jeep & Land Rover 4x4 trips, Mini & MX5 drive days all have only there makes for the events.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm a GS owner I don't mind doing gravels but to take the 1200 off rd I know I couldn't handle it and I would hate to see it get damaged within the frist 10 mtrs off the rd thats why I brought a 2001 Suzuki DRZ 400 which I have a lot of fun on and the size and weight is good for me 114 kgs, I dont mind falling off it and scratching this and that, if BMW could bring out something like that at a reasable price I would be in. I did start out with a Dakar GS but again to much money tired up in the bike for me to do that.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I'm a GS owner I don't mind doing gravels but to take the 1200 off rd I know I couldn't handle it and I would hate to see it get damaged within the first 10 mtrs off the rd thats why I brought a 2001 Suzuki DRZ 400 which I have a lot of fun on and the size and weight is good for me 114 kgs, I dont mind falling off it and scratching this and that, if BMW could bring out something like that at a reasable price I would be in. I did start out with a Dakar GS but again to much money tired up in the bike for me to do that.

BMW will soon release the new 450. It will probably meet your criteria, except for the reasonable price. However, what is unreasonable for some is perfectly reasonable for others. The Dr400 is an excellent bike and I can't see BMW get anywhere near its price point. I could only justify it if I was a top notch rider who is able to get the best out of the his equipment and would be limited by anything less than the best. As it is, if I was going to fall off something on a regular basis I'd prefer it to be light and cheap. My main constaints are riding time and access to land, not the lack of suitable equipment. Oh, let's not forget to mention money, that's a major constraint as well.

2bjr
    Participant

I agree with that ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Arne Rohde
    Participant

My main constaints are riding time and access to land, not the lack of suitable equipment. Oh, let's not forget to mention money, that's a major constraint as well.

It's funny. For 3 or 4 years in a row I offered the use of about 100 acres of farmland and forest for the month or so when there was no stock on it, free of charge for anyone who wanted to use it for practice. The first year the only response was a sarcastic reply from someone who wasn't interested. The second year Henry talked of doing a training day, but that was as far as it got. The third year there was not a single response. So I gave up.If you want access to land you need to use it when it's available. Landowners are not going to keep on begging you to come and use it if nobody shows any interest.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

My main constaints are riding time and access to land, not the lack of suitable equipment. Oh, let's not forget to mention money, that's a major constraint as well.

It's funny. For 3 or 4 years in a row I offered the use of about 100 acres of farmland and forest for the month or so when there was no stock on it, free of charge for anyone who wanted to use it for practice. The first year the only response was a sarcastic reply from someone who wasn't interested. The second year Henry talked of doing a training day, but that was as far as it got. The third year there was not a single response. So I gave up.If you want access to land you need to use it when it's available. Landowners are not going to keep on begging you to come and use it if nobody shows any interest.

Is it still possible to use your land? I know next to nothing about farming in NZ, when is there no stock on it? I suppose if enough interested people got together we might get some support from BMW like Dean suggests. In Auckland I only know a handful who might be interested.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Most farms will have stock on them all year round. But as ours was only used for fattening cattle there was about a 6 week period from late February with no stock.The land is on a conditional sales contract, with new stock expected any day, so the opportunity has now passed. If I'd known there was any interest it could have been available for the last two months.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I am sorry to hear you are moving away, but I am sure we'll catch up on future rides. Well, if there are any other land owners out there you don't mind a few bike tracks on their land I'd be glad to hear from you. The same applies if you have a rabbit problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Jim Young
    Participant

That would be me, too old and grey now to go off road with a big lump of a bike like a GS, although in saying that I have been thinking again about buying another 250 road legal dirt bike, but then my next thoughts are when would I use it, as I like riding sealed back roads too much now, and my memory also takes me back to the aches and pains of trail ridingย  ๐Ÿ˜ฅThere is an interesting letter in the new May addition of Kiwi Rider, page 68 if my memory serves me right about adventure rides on a big adventure bike and I would tend to agree with the writer.

Anonymous

Bike and stock can go together.DSC01592.jpgDSC01587.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bike and stock can go together.DSC01592.jpgDSC01587.jpg

Gees Dean that ground looks pretty flat, what are you doing falling off there? ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.