Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk 1200RT Brake Failure Indication

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have bought a 2006 1200RT. When I start the engine the Brake Failure light flashes until I move off to at least  2-3metres. is this normal as I cant find anything about this in the owners manual. thanks

Russell Taylor
    Participant

It's not brake failure. It's the ABS checking itself.Once the wheels have rotated a few times the ABS confirms it is working and the light goes out. It happens on my F800 too, as well as the 1200RT at work. 😀

David Matthews
    Participant

Thanks for that. Saved me looking a right plonker if I went into my local BMW dealer.

Anonymous

This is correct, also if you have the brake on when you start the engine the ABS may not set until you re-start the bike with out the brake on.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

This is correct, also if you have the brake on when you start the engine the ABS may not set until you re-start the bike with out the brake on.

Must try that on the r1100s  Phil

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I think it's only necessary on the 1200 bikes Phil.  From memory  😕 my 1100R would start OK even with the brake on but with the 1200 one shouldn't touch the brake after ignition on until it has cycled through the start up programme.  Can be a problem if you are on a slope so you need to have it in gear while you do the start up thingy.  🙄Malcolm

Anonymous

I think it's only necessary on the 1200 bikes Phil.  From memory  😕 my 1100R would start OK even with the brake on but with the 1200 one shouldn't touch the brake after ignition on until it has cycled through the start up programme.  Can be a problem if you are on a slope so you need to have it in gear while you do the start up thingy.   🙄Malcolm

My 1150 adventure did this as well

Anonymous
    Inactive

If its in gear how do you stop it moving down the road.

Warren
    Participant

If on a slope, put it in gear to hold you while the computer goes thru its start up check. Then, select neutral or pull in the clutch with you brake now applied and start the engine.Easier method is to turn on the ignition while still parked and before you mount.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

If its in gear how do you stop it moving down the road.

Well if you are on a hill that is so steep that it may move even in when in gear I would imagine you'd be parked facing slightly uphill? 🙄 in the case of a just a slight slope it should hold in first.Malcolm

Anonymous

If the ABS does not turn there is nothing to worry about the brakes will work. The main thing on a hill start is be safe when you start. You can stop later on afor the ABS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.