Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk 1200GS Topbox

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can anybody advise as to what BMW NZs reaction is to the problem with topboxes cracking and falling off the bike ? Bolt it on ? Strap it on ? Does BMW produce a boltsystem to do this ? Judging by all the info on the Advrider and UK GS forums there is’nt much been done to solve the problem anywhere else in the world !

Rich

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Guess I will answer my own question – spoke to Neil at BMW Experience today and he was very helpful. The only solution is to mount the box using bolts/spacers provided in kit form by BMW for this purpose. Probably means drilling a hole in the box. All under warranty. Seems like BMW haven’t found a solution and are not in a hurry to do so. if you ride a GS1200 with a top box – beware you have a potential projectile just waiting to launch off your rear end and seriously injure someone riding/ driving/walking behind you ! Se the ADVrider forum for more details (or UK GS forum) !

Dave Ross

At least one other person here has lost their top box off an R1200GS. I’ll stay well away from these things and will keep plenty of following distance. 🙂

I wonder if I could use it as an excuse. "Officer, I had to pass the guy on the 1200, he has a top box, and we all know what they're like".

I hope the kit will solve your problem. I also hope they didn't charge you for it.

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Yeah apparently it will fall under warranty. I am surprised I haven’t heard of this issue before in NZ. And was’nt notified by the dealers to take precautions. Shit could have killed someone !

Arne Rohde
    Participant

I don’t want my topbox fitted permanently to the bike, so until BMW do find an acceptable solution I will keep riding with it. But it is tied down so that it should stay on the bike if the locking mechanism does fail.

For one method, have a look at the thread http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=hex&Number=469236

My solution is slightly different. The two brackets at the front that lock into the mounting plate are easy to remove, and nylon fishing line can be threaded through them before reinstalling them. A bungee cord then threads through the fishing line, and is hooked onto the bike at each end. Easy to remove and should avoid a flying box.

Previously I had a tie strap around the box and passing under the tail of the bike.

Dave Morris
    Participant

throw away the inferior BMW luggage

and get real luggage from Touratech

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Yeah mate now thats a solution – throw it way after paying a fortune for it. I certainly won’t replace it though. If i had known about the TT luggage before I bought the bike …………….. different story.

Bungee cords sound like a good idea.

Anonymous
    tustinr wrote:
    Guess I will answer my own question – spoke to Neil at BMW Experience today and he was very helpful. The only solution is to mount the box using bolts/spacers provided in kit form by BMW for this purpose. Probably means drilling a hole in the box. All under warranty. Seems like BMW haven’t found a solution and are not in a hurry to do so. if you ride a GS1200 with a top box – beware you have a potential projectile just waiting to launch off your rear end and seriously injure someone riding/ driving/walking behind you ! Se the ADVrider forum for more details (or UK GS forum) !

I had 3 top boxs. BMW say there is no problems with the top box. I would bolt it on. As you know they are not safe.
    Anonymous

I got a quote for a genuine topbox ($1300),decided this was madness,and foung a cheap ($78) Givi clone at the Yamaha agents in Blenheim – well made,easy to install,quick detach with a secure mounting, why would I consider the genuine? The one I have is just as good and wont fall off.,for 5% of the originals cost.

Anonymous
    Ash wrote:
    I got a quote for a genuine topbox ($1300),decided this was madness,and foung a cheap ($78) Givi clone at the Yamaha agents in Blenheim – well made,easy to install,quick detach with a secure mounting, why would I consider the genuine? The one I have is just as good and wont fall off.,for 5% of the originals cost.

No way they it must have been the wrong price.

I agree as I had Givi top box on my Adventure and I took it all over the place and never looked like coming off. BMW NZ did try to get it fixed, but BMW Gremany was not interested.

I still have the Givi 50lt top box for sale with mounting

f868a28b.jpg
    Anonymous

Just two small points with the GIVI top boxes (of which I am a strong advocate, having had one on the back of my K100 until it left me, with the bike, via TradeMe).
    They can raise the c/g of the bike a lot, because of the packrat tendency we all have to fill the (large) space available with goodies.
    Their aerodynamic performance ain't necessarily the equal of BMW's - on the old LT above (insert number that would surely get Steve Bell's attention during work hours)kph I could always feel a bobble at the back of the bike where the air coming off my helmet and shoulders hit the top box. That one had an easy fix - always carry a pillion.

Anonymous

Good for sand riding as the extra weight will help keep the front wheel up.

Dave Morris
    Participant
    Ash wrote:

is the Yamahahahaha agent in Bleniemheimer a register member.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.