Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk ’05 R1200RT clutch replacement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi all,Has anyone replaced the clutch on their R12RT?  I'm heading down this path, so asked our local guys  (with baited breath) 'How Much?'.  I'm looking at about $1800 for parts, and $900 for labour.  Labour I don't mind paying, as Motomart in Lower Hutt are bloody good and fast at what they do, however the price of parts are a bit of a shocker (BMW definantly means Bring My Wallet - $8 for one screw?).Although the NZ dollar has slumped a little, as anyone imported a clutch kit (for this or another bike) from the US , UK or EU?A complete clutch kit is:21 21 7 702 595 Pressure plate 1.00 $510.0021 21 7 697 741 CLUTCH HOUSING 1.00 $320.0021 21 7 702 596 Push rod, spherical 1.00 $60.0021 21 7 684 771 Collar screw 5.00 $8.00 each21 21 7 697 737 CLUTCH PLATE 1.00 $230.0021 21 7 697 740 Housing cover 1.00 $270.0021 21 2 332 469 Inner hex bolt 6.00 $6.00 each23 21 1 230 440 FELTRING 1.00 $14.0023 12 7 705 086 Shaft seal 1.00 $28.0011 11 7 685 005 Shaft seal 1.00 $65.00Any help appreciated, especially by my credit card...Scott

Dave Morris
    Participant
    Mark Mackay
    Participant

Whats the clutch doing? My GS had a problem but it was the clutch slave cylinder, under $300 inc labour. Is it soft in the lever or slipping under load?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheers, Steve.B.  YouShop are adding the YouKay to their arsenal of places we can ship from without limb removal or selling bodily fluids.  I've also checked Beemer Boneyard's and Nippy Norman's R12RT farklelist, and that had my Mastercard cowering under my desk refusing to come out… Richard- clutch is occasionally slipping under load, and that's with just my massive 70kg on board.  I haven't ridden another R12RT, so don't know what this bike feels like compared with another, but Motomart Lower Hutt have a similar year in so might take that for a comparison ride.    My R12RT is a former rental bike with 130 000km on the clock, and I imagine the clutch has had a fairly hard life given most of the riding will have been two-up and fully-loaded.  I'm going to trust Motomart's judgement on this one, as I don't want to end up with a kaput clutch. That said, thanks for the clutch slave cylinder direction.  I guess when my bike is reduced to a front wheel and transmission in one place and a pile of other bits in another, Motomart will be able to work out what's on the way out and replace/service it.  And that's got nothing to do with using 'repairs' as an excuse for exchanging bike for ice, warm Hilux on the slightly-chilly/soggy commutes up the Hutt Valley each morning  😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

By sheer luck, I've found that one of the mechanics at work did a clutch replacement on his R11RT not long ago.  He baulked at NZ Stealership parts prices, and shipped his parts from BeemerBoneyard.  His bike's now running a USD95 Siebenrock clutch plate with no problems.  Might go down this road too..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Motorworks are another mail-order option: http://motorworks.co.uk/The advice I've heard (for 1150's, anyway) is to fit the whole clutch kit, that doing just the friction plate usually ends up paying the big labour bill again soon. But that is second-hand advice, worth what you paid for it...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, Andy.  I've Excel'd five overseas suppliers to compare with BMW NZ; MaxBMW, Moto-bins, Beemer Boneyard, Bike Bandit and Motorworks.  I'll definantly go for a complete clutch replacement if it is needed.  May as well while the bike is in bits, and it'll give me good peace of mind as my bike approaches middle life (or maybe its just a pesky teenager throwing a tanty???) Some prices:MaxBMW in the EewEssHay: NZD1200 compared with NZD1490, so the wholesale price in NZ must be quite high!For the pressure plate:NZD360-440 compared with BMW NZ at NZD510Hex bolts17 cents in Uncle Sam coinage to BMW NZ's NZD6 eachAt these prices, I'll start adding parts to my max all-up baggage weight the next time I travel overseas  Drugs be buggered - I'm going to start smuggling hex bolts!!!Can just picture it.A darkened Wellington alley (preferable one without a lift tower threatening to squash you).A shady figure in bike gear in the shadows  8)Spots a passing hexhead rider..."Pssy!  Hey buddy - wana buy some BMW parts???"

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you mail order all in one go you might have to add 15% GST on the way in?But the clutch consists of a whole lot of parts...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Overseas parts just got a whole lot cheaper.  Popped into Motomart yesterday to check on their price, and the change in importer has added about 30% to the price  >:(Luckily, they'll do me a deal with the parts still in stock and drop to about NZD1400 for the whole clutch compared with a start price of almost $1600.Yep, Andy, ship the whole lot and GST will probably end up being added on at the NZ border,  but that's still cheaper than local prices (especially when things like 19%VAT drop from overseas orders).

Anonymous
    Inactive

So if you ordered the friction plate one day, pressure plate the next and so on (could even vary suppliers to get the lowest prices on each) maybe the whole lot would trickle in under the GST threshold? I suppose it depends on the tradeoff with postage costs, and whether the very idea makes me a bad man…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, a most cunning plan, Andy.  No duty on motorcycle parts as well…

Dave Morris
    Participant

u can save a fortune purchasing mushrooms individually as well

Anonymous
    Inactive

One times red bike dropped off this morning to the caring hands of the Motomart Team in Lower Hutt…  now just have to prep my bank account that it's about to be hit hard  🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

At least the shop will love you long time.  ;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fark Gremlin, I think I just bought shares in the shop  :-*One of the mechanics gave me a cheeky wink as I left with a cheery 'Anythin' you wannnnnnn'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.